Board logo

Pinto firing on 3
lewis - 30/10/10 at 02:57 PM

My pinto 2.0l has started running lumpy after a bit of investigation it seems the aft Most cylinder exhaust pipe is cold,I have swapped the spark plug with another/swapped leads but nothing,there is fuel and I can confirm there is a spark,any ideas??

CRAIGR - 30/10/10 at 03:03 PM

Have known slippers to jump off the valves before so the valves don't open

philhoward - 30/10/10 at 03:09 PM

Air leak on inlet manifold. Put a piece of hose pipe to your ear and listen for any hissing noise.

This happen to me and after hours of frustation I found that the gasket had blown a hole in it

RichardK - 30/10/10 at 03:11 PM

Think one of the first tests that has got to be a compression test.Cheers Rich

lewis - 30/10/10 at 03:36 PM

Thanks guys I'll have a look at those bits and report back.

britishtrident - 30/10/10 at 04:35 PM

Compression test (or even better cylinder leak down test ) & check valve clearances.

Dizzie Cap ?
And if you are on a points dizzy check the points gap on each lobe of the dizzie cam.

[Edited on 30/10/10 by britishtrident]

jacko - 30/10/10 at 05:43 PM

Crack in dizzy cap
Go and start it in the dark to look for electric sparks

escary - 31/10/10 at 07:13 AM

Air, fuel, spark

I'd be tempted to check the valve operation before a compression test, inlet not opening would show big drop on a compression test, but no difference on a leakage test.

Hope it's a simple repair, saves the hassle of head off etc

chris666 - 31/10/10 at 07:35 PM

Check valve clearences.pintos suffer from cam wear.also check compression as above.

Chris

greggors84 - 31/10/10 at 09:36 PM

It happened on the engine a while ago Lewis after a period of not being used. It looked like a weak spark on #4 cylinder.

A good clean up of the plugs and a good run got it running well again.

Might be worth trying some new plugs as it as soon as the cylinder wasn't firing properly it fouled up the plug. Took a while to get it clean enough.

lewis - 31/10/10 at 09:51 PM

Thanks for the info guys and Chris thanks for the history I'll bung a new set of plugs in as soon as my hand heals, note to self don't hold the manifold when the engine is running

greggors84 - 31/10/10 at 10:08 PM

Whoops! Good way to check is lick your finger and quickly touch the headers, if you get a hiss then you know its hot! As long as its not glowing and you touch it for too long you will get away with it.

lewis - 1/11/10 at 09:49 PM

Quick update for anyone that's interested lol. All plugs replaced and running great now thanks all for the replys.