Board logo

Leaking Raceline Sump
neilp1 - 16/3/14 at 05:40 PM

I have fitted a Duratec Raceline sump but it is leaking. This is the 2nd time I have fitted this due to leaking first time round. It seems to be leaking from the same place on the joint just above the dipstick. I have used Ford sealant both times and this time it did not leak for over 4 weeks.

Anyone else had this problem, or am I just doing something wrong??

Neil

pjay - 16/3/14 at 07:46 PM

Fitted three without problem.

Do you have any pictures of the sealant beads, the easiest one I can find is from my blog but it doesn't show all of the block:

Link

Picture

[Edited on 16/3/14 by pjay]

Mr C - 16/3/14 at 08:28 PM

It may be worth checking that you have the correct lenght of bolt for the hole behind the dipstick hole. If I remember correctly there should be two bolts that are slightly longer than the others to take up the slightly thicker casting (25mm insted of 20mm) . Disapointingly these were not supplied with my sump, so I bought some, as the 20mm bolts were too short to grip the block threads and wouldn't torque up correctly.

neilp1 - 17/3/14 at 07:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
It may be worth checking that you have the correct lenght of bolt for the hole behind the dipstick hole. If I remember correctly there should be two bolts that are slightly longer than the others to take up the slightly thicker casting (25mm insted of 20mm) . Disapointingly these were not supplied with my sump, so I bought some, as the 20mm bolts were too short to grip the block threads and wouldn't torque up correctly.

I have the correct bolts here, but like you say I was not supplied these either.

Cheers,
Neil

neilp1 - 17/3/14 at 08:02 AM

pjay,
I have not got a picture of the sealant beads, but I did not do the same as you. In the picture I have roughly drawn in red where I applied the sealant trying to keep it on the inside of the bolts. Looking at yours it looks like I'll be removing the sump and re-sealing it, but I'll be doing it with the engine in the car as I don't want to take the engine back out.

Description
Description

Cheers,

Neil

pjay - 17/3/14 at 09:02 AM

The beading in the picture is as in the Raceline instructions I have.

Sorry to hear that - swine of a job to do in the car.

[Edited on 17/3/14 by pjay]