Board logo

The B***dy Misfire Again
The Doc - 26/4/08 at 10:48 AM

Right - we have a new coil, new condenser, new points.

As I said previously runs fine for about 20 mins then misfire.

Not the tank breather this is definitely adequate.

But the coil is getting very hot and I suspect this to be the source of the problem.

What could be causing this? Could it be as simple as the points setting? Never found that to be too critical on a XFlow in the past.

The problem is mostly on acceleration but once the problem sets in the car won't start until cooled down. The cooler it is the better it runs so:

why is the coil heating up?

The Doc - 26/4/08 at 10:49 AM

Oh and I meant to say:

the coil is standard 12V no ballast etc.

stevebubs - 26/4/08 at 12:30 PM

> Could it be as simple as the points setting

Was on mine - struck mid-way through a le mans trip and made the journey back bloody frustrating.

Feeler gauges on the points gap....or get a valencia dizzy with electronic control and never have it again...

Coil is likely to get hot as it's permanently in a state of discharge....

MikeRJ - 26/4/08 at 12:39 PM

A points gap that is too small will cause extended dwell at lower engine speeds which will cause the coil to run hot and can give a weak spark.

If the points gap is too large the reduced dwell will give a poor spark, especialy at higher RPM.

Have you checked the valve clearances?

[Edited on 26/4/08 by MikeRJ]

derby allen - 26/4/08 at 01:17 PM

Had a very similar problem on a Pinto years ago, like your good self i went through everything, new coil, leads, plugs, dizzy cap, changed the timming etc etc etc, as i started running out of options i changed the rotar arm to the old one that come with the engine, problem solved, worth a try.

rusty nuts - 26/4/08 at 01:36 PM

Valencia distributor is a good mod although you will have to change the coil to one suited to electronic ignition. If you decide to go that route and have trouble finding one I may be able to help.

theconrodkid - 26/4/08 at 02:36 PM

what make is the coil? cheapo,s can break down and make sure its not for electronic ignition