Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto indy questions
macspeedy

posted on 11/9/02 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto indy questions

I have started stripping the donor engine i have which is a 2ltr pinto from a G reg sierra saphire, I have a couple of questions about the engine and the half shafts so i can prepare them for fitment to my cahssis when it is ready, what is the bolt in the block (205) on the opposite side from the dip stick for it seems to just go into the sump? I have taken the diff etc out I was wondering how difficult it is to remove-replace the cv boots and if it is worth while if they look to be in good condition,
also is there a good way to get the drain plug out of the diff? also what is the best thing to do about the sump breather and the plate that is rivited to block on the inside?
also is it normal to find paint on the valve springs and on the conrods and the pistons and conrods to be numbered?

James

posted on 13/9/02 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

1. what is the bolt in the block (205) on the opposite side from the dip stick for it seems to just go into the sump?

My Haynes had me remove this when draining the oil. I'd guess it means there's no vacuum created when you drain the oil so that it all flows out more easily?

quote:

also is it normal to find paint on the valve springs and on the conrods and the pistons and conrods to be numbered?

My springs had a little dab of white(ish!) paint on them.

I haven't pulled the bottom end apart so not sure about the numbering. Can't see why it'd be a problem though.

'Fraid I don't know the answers to the other stuff as I've decided to leave the diff' well alone!

HTH,

James

johnston

posted on 13/9/02 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
could mean the engines been rebuilt at a time and someones just marked which piston is from which cylinder

i no some manufacturers do it from the factory but dont no if ford do

Peteff

posted on 20/9/02 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
We put some new rings in my nephews 1.8 cvh and when we cleaned the piston tops we found some numbers on them. They weren't relevant to the cylinders they were fitted to but seemed to be matched, 1 & 3 were 3 and 2 & 4 were 4's. I think it may be something to do with balance, that's my theory anyway.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.