Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I am pooing my self
02GF74

posted on 22/1/10 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
nasty business but not painful.

Had one as a kid. They drill into the tooth and you can smell the burning enamel/dentine whatever and then they put in a reamer - like one of those stud extractors - to pull the nerve out.

But at least is was free for me.

It isn't pleasant but if all goes well, should tkae more than 15 minutes. Yes, time does seem to stop as you a cliniging onto the armrest but it is a welcome relief to the pain so worth doing it.

Keep reminding yourself that Rambo would have done this himself and stop being a wuss will get you trhough.

Godd luck.

woodster

posted on 22/1/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave r
the bit i hated was when they measure how deep the hole was.... think mine was 21mm

that should make him feel loads better

wilkingj

posted on 22/1/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I know how you feel...
I have a pathalogical fear / phobia about dentists.

Have been twice in the last 40 years.
I only have 7 teeth and 3 stubs which need extracting left

Mostly down to the school dentists on the late 50's and early 60's. Fillings and extractions with no anasthetic was no fun for me as a 9 year old boy.

I just cant get over the fear. Even seeing the brass nameplate on the front wall of the property makes me shake with fear. Let alone actually entering the building or sitting in the seat.

Even writing this is making me feel off colour.

I can even feel other peoples pain. You describe something nasty that happened to you, and I start feeling that pain. Its not a lot of fun or very nice

You have my sympathies.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
OX

posted on 22/1/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used to fear my old dentist ,he always smelt of booz and was very rough with me and often gave me enough pain to the point where i stopped going ..up until 2 years ago when i decided to get my teeth fixed and found a man with the touch of god lol. My teeth were in bad way and so far its cost £1500 with 3 root canals left to do before i can have a brace fitted top and bottom ,but gone are the days when i used to worry about going for a visit.
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 22/1/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pgtips
I know that makes me sound like a girl but I have an appointment tomorrow morning with my dentist for a route cannal......................and I am bricking it .

Gos I hate dentist.

[Edited on 21-1-10 by pgtips]

Could be worse, I've just had a surgical extraction of a molar "in the chair". Left part of my jaw exposed. I'm on pain killers and antibiotics, and have to swill with salt water every few hours. I feel like I've done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson!!!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

thefreak

posted on 22/1/10 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
It helps when you have a good dentist. I've been hit and miss recently.
The first guy was rubbish, felt like he couldn't be bothered. He referred me for an extraction and the guy that pulled it was aweful. I was in agony and when he finally ripped it out it was a mess.

I spoke to friends and family as the tooth infront of the one that was removed started to get infected and abcesses on the gum. Went back to the first one and he said that one needs to come out foo! fook that! I looked around and was suggested a root canal could save it. So after being recommended to another dentist, I took the missus along with me (she used to work in ENT so knows about things like that) and walked in, told him I was aprehensive to say the least, and he was great!
He explained everything he was doing, asked to say if there was any discomfort (wasn't any) and was describing the process all the time. Wasn't in any pain, apart from the initial scratch from the needle and the aching jaw for having it open for an hour.
I need to go back for another re-filling (botched job from the first idiot) and am still aprehensive but gonna get it sorted soonish so I can hold onto that one as well rather than having ANOTHER extraction!?

pgtips

posted on 22/1/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Whell guys you have been a great help.

I am back from the dentist with the first part of the r/cannal complete. Piece of cake....I don't know what you lot paniced about .

No honest the dentist done a great job. The only thing I felt was the injection initially. After that I remembered all your great advice you gave me so far.....ie close your eyes, think about your kit car or make a list, and the most important of all.....relax..... that helped allot.

I need to go back in ten days for the second and finnal part 'I hope'. No more drilling he said

Can I just say something. Posting here last night about it has helped me allot to combat my fear about my visit to the dentist today. I wasnt sure what to expect.
So for that I do really thank you very much.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

zilspeed

posted on 22/1/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Knew it would work - well done.

To all the rest of you, if your dentist is causing you any pain at all, you need a new dentist.
A good dentist can give you the injection with nothing more than the slightest tingle on your gum. After that and with the anaesthesia taking hold, lie back in the chair and enjoy the fact that you're in a warm room lying back having a rest.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/1/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Knew it would work - well done.

To all the rest of you, if your dentist is causing you any pain at all, you need a new dentist.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

There are clearly some pretty rough 'dentists' out there that don't care what they do or how painful it is, and of course many that do an excellent job. The thing is a few visits to the former type is enough to put you off going to a dentist of the rest of your life.

Alan B

posted on 22/1/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
............Put yourself somewhere completely different when its going on.........

A bit like being at work then?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 22/1/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
............Put yourself somewhere completely different when its going on.........

Sounds like my missus I didn't go near a dentist for 20 odd years, they hurt last time I went but my wife needed some treatment and she had to sign up at a local practise so I went too. I was apprehensive but when I was in the chair she (the dentist, very nice chatty lady) poked around and declared my teeth all in good order. My wife needed £200 worth of repairs though

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

speedyxjs

posted on 22/1/10 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Im glad it went well

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

02GF74

posted on 23/1/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pgtips
Well guys you have been a great help.

I am back from the dentist with the first part of the r/cannal complete.

posted on 22/1/10 at 14:33

so it was all over by tooth hurty??

big_wasa

posted on 23/1/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dentist wouldnt touch mine. Charged me £110 for little more than coarse of anti bio' and a referal to the hospital to have them out
David Jenkins

posted on 23/1/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
My dentist's pretty good - won't do stuff unless he thinks it's really necessary.

Ninehigh

posted on 24/1/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Last time I went to a dentist I needed a course of antibiotics because it was infected. I nearly passed out when he came at me with a needle that looked (from my perspective) like it would take down a cow, then nearly puked at the crunching sound (tooth was so rotten there was nothing to show me). To top this off when I left I promptly got stuck in the biggest traffic jam of my life, so not only am I fearful of the dentist but I worry when I can't see what's stopped the traffic.

Still I'd rather go through the above again than the 2 weeks without sleep and pain so bad I was trying to punch out the while side of my face to stop it.

zilspeed

posted on 24/1/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Last time I went to a dentist I needed a course of antibiotics because it was infected. I nearly passed out when he came at me with a needle that looked (from my perspective) like it would take down a cow, then nearly puked at the crunching sound (tooth was so rotten there was nothing to show me). To top this off when I left I promptly got stuck in the biggest traffic jam of my life, so not only am I fearful of the dentist but I worry when I can't see what's stopped the traffic.

Still I'd rather go through the above again than the 2 weeks without sleep and pain so bad I was trying to punch out the while side of my face to stop it.

As I said previously in this thread.

Lie down and close your eyes is the best way.
You really don't need to know what size the needle is or what bits of ironmongery they are using to do what they have to do.

Ninehigh

posted on 24/1/10 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
True, and at least next time (cos there will be a next time) I can think about how much it hurts to not have it done!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.