Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Destroying our heritage???
russbost

posted on 6/2/10 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Wow! Hadn't meant to stir up a hornets' nest!

I can actually see both sides of the argument, but personally i can't see that we're doing much good in Afghanistan, I'd much rather see our boys pulled out & save a lot more money - it's no longer a war out there, more a sort of humanitarian mission & there are people better placed to do that than soldiers.

They recently came out with the fact that they have spent £13 million (IIRC) on helicopters for our guys out there - wait for it - to be ready by 2012 or 2013 - in other words after we should no longer be there!!!

This government has so much sensless waste it is unbelievable - they've just announced you'll only have to work about half as long to qualify for state pension! - that's going to help a lot - NOT!
Sorry - rant over!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Chippy

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Steve G

Pick a bit out at randon, why don't you! I think the remainder of the post states the case. But as for getting people killed in my family, I don't think so mate, none of them are that stupid to join the forces. Me being the last one to do so, and I did my time in Ireland, and Cyprus, which were the wars of the day. The only people who died for others in my family were those that were in the 2ndWW, and there were too many of them. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

iank

posted on 7/2/10 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid too many people are falling into the classic misdirection being carried out by the government.

We've already spend over £5.7bn* on the effort in Afghanistan.

Do you really think that they will take any £3million saving and use it to directly buy anything they wouldn't have been able to for the military that they wouldn't have bought anyway? That's less than a 12hours spend at the current rate**, so cutting the ww2 planes is nothing but a publicity fig leaf to show they are cutting stuff rather than any useful amount of cash. They could get that amount of money by not installing useless traffic calming measures for a week or so.

* http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/oct/05/afghanistan-spending-per-head-uk-us-canada-defence

** http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=phNtm3LmDZEPnKo7yLtmkNg

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

t.j.

posted on 7/2/10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Is it really money which counts by saving lives?

IMO it always the question are we giving the people freedom back Yes or No?
If it is yes, don't bother about the money.
It costs money but what if they cared about the money in 1944?

Nobody asked why we gave so much money to a corrupt government in Hiati....

So it's the only way:
Invest in freedom or else yours is next.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

richard thomas

posted on 7/2/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Some very good arguments for and against, can see both points of view.

However it is unlikely that the £3M saving would be directed into the Afghan conflict budget...nice thought as it is. Just as likely to be spent on white paint for touching up before the Queen visits....

Bear in mind that these aircraft support a lot of fund raising events around the country throughout the year.

The MOD has already stated that it will not allow private funding or charity support for the BBMF.

Whilst the BBMF is a fitting memorial for those who served, it is also a fantastic reminder of Britain's past engineering ability.

Red Arrows next?

I reserve my disgruntlement for the £Billions put aside to bail out the banks at the drop of a hat. Now that's a lot of body armour....

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/2/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I agree with Richard. Anyone who is naive enough to believe that the money rediredted from the BBMF would be spent on Afghanistan ( which I think is out 3rd or 4th attempt out there in history and it has NEVER been or come to a satifactory conclusion out there ) or our soldiers out there is being a little easily led. Yes our boys deserve every penny spent on them if not a lot more. However personnally I think the politicians should be the first to make cuts in their support. If they are not prepared to go out there and lead our lads from the front then they should donate all their expenses and even their salaries they recieve from the government. That little sum would certainly improove matters.

[Edited on 7/2/10 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.