New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: DAX vs DONKERVOORT vs CAT/WEST
Neville Jones

posted on 24/3/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
None of them pass the Aus torsion and beam test, without some essential tubes added. That includes the latest Cateringvan and Westfields.

Cheers,
Nev.

so what are the values they need to score?

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Production cars are assumed to be compliant (and that they are in more ways than the obvious). ICV's and things like stretched limos need a torsion and beam test.

Beam test----Max average deflection of 1.25mm difference between loaded and unloaded, with load of 136kg's in each seat position.

Torsion test----Four cylinder/rotary engined vehicle under 1000kg tare mass, 4Nm/degree for each kg tare mass minimum. More than 4 cylinders, 6000Nm/degree minimum. (no weight adjustment/multiplier like the 4 cyls.)

Now you know.

Cheers,
Nev.

iti_uk
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 13/10/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The KLMX-5 ('97 MX5 w/Mazda KL 2.5L V6)

posted on 24/3/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Production cars are assumed to be compliant (and that they are in more ways than the obvious). ICV's and things like stretched limos need a torsion and beam test.

Beam test----Max average deflection of 1.25mm difference between loaded and unloaded, with load of 136kg's in each seat position.

Torsion test----Four cylinder/rotary engined vehicle under 1000kg tare mass, 4Nm/degree for each kg tare mass minimum. More than 4 cylinders, 6000Nm/degree minimum. (no weight adjustment/multiplier like the 4 cyls.)

Now you know.

Cheers,
Nev.

To reiterate with correct units;

4 cyl;
4kNm/deg

5+cyl;
6kNm/deg

From my own experience, I know these cars tend to struggle to manage more than 2kNm/deg torsional stiffness. No wonder they don't pass that test. It's all down to their geometry and scale - these cars are so lightweight they don't need the stiffness a 1-tonne car requires to control it's chassis, but target figures are target figures, so they fail. Ah well.

Chris

[Edited on 24/3/2010 by iti_uk]

Liam

posted on 24/3/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Birkin by a very large margin

What's your criteria, though? Closeness to an original lotus, then yes, though doesn't that mean it's made from thin gauge steel and has a number of tubes 'missing' over more modern designs which at best means it's a bit wobbly, and at worst prone to failure with modern tyres and engines? (Or was the S3 that the Birkin reproduces already beefed up?).

For strength and stiffness I reckon a lot of the modern offerings easily beat the more traditional designs. Dax and Donker look good in some areas, but both compromise the engine bay bracing to allow flexibility of engine fitments. MNR's top spec is another one I really like.

For me it comes back round to Caterham, not for their traditional design, but the CSR which has the best 'seven' chassis I've seen...

[Edited on 24/3/10 by Liam] Rescued attachment CSR.jpg
Rescued attachment CSR.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neville Jones

posted on 25/3/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iti_uk
quote:

Now you know.

Cheers,
Nev.

To reiterate with correct units;

4 cyl;
4kNm/deg

5+cyl;
6kNm/deg

From my own experience, I know these cars tend to struggle to manage more than 2kNm/deg torsional stiffness. No wonder they don't pass that test. It's all down to their geometry and scale - these cars are so lightweight they don't need the stiffness a 1-tonne car requires to control it's chassis, but target figures are target figures, so they fail. Ah well.

Chris

[Edited on 24/3/2010 by iti_uk]

To reiterate with correct figures,

Four cylinder/rotary engined vehicle under 1000kg tare mass, 4Nm/degree for each kg tare mass minimum. That's about 2600Nm/degree for the average locost. Or 2.6kNm/degree for picky pedantic smartarses like the above.

4k Nm/degree is multitudes more than any racecar can achieve, yet alone a locost!

The rest is verbatim from the govt literature. Take it up with them!

Cheers,
Nev.

Neville Jones

posted on 27/3/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
4k Nm/degree is multitudes more than any racecar can achieve, yet alone a locost!

Where's the edit button gone?

That above should read, 4kNm/degree/kg, is multitudes more

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.