Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: iPad alternatives?
Agriv8

posted on 13/9/12 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
we went through this and there is a similar post started by me on the forum.

We ended up with a Ipad2 16gb after seeing an playing with various others the wife plumped with the Ipad2. I was very anti Ipad and I supose I am slightly less now. Some things are very good but some things are really bad ( connect to anything thats not apple - EG my NAS drive with familly photo all my music vidios ect ect ).

Do I use it Yes
Could I live without it Yes
Does it live up to the Hype NO.

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Krismc

posted on 16/9/12 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
No point asking me, im a little Biased!!! But if you want to know......

Ive got Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy 7 Tab, and the Samsung Tab 10.1 32GB 3G.

I love all 3 as they all easy too use, Apps, music and videos are nearly always free all 3 units are lighter and thinner than apple alternatives, screen on the S3 is amazing and camera is superb, I Stream HD videos and plug in my bose headphones to the TAB 10.1 and screen is also excellent (cant do this on IPAD with out paying a fee)

I use the S3 as my main camera for work and for reading PDF's on its ample screen.

My little one uses the 10.1 as a incar head rest TV player with the S3 as a wifi hot spot and she either streams you tube, I player or sky onto the 10.1 tab and its all free.

And my wife uses the Galaxy 7 for a e-reader which its great at.

[Edited on 16/9/12 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

coozer

posted on 16/9/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking for something that doesnt cost too much to take out with me in the truck so I can watch my Sky Go, read books, serf the net etc..

Is a Kindle Fire up to that? How do tablets go about connecting to the web?

I have a HTC Wildfire S which frankly is crap on the net, slow, never ending waiting, bombs out.. is that down to my network rather than the phone??? Oh, and the battery life is dismal considering I only really send texts with it!

Sister in law walks round with her ££££££££££ Iphone permanently on the net like a desktop.. how does that happen??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Krismc

posted on 16/9/12 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Battery on tab 10.1 is amazing, watch 3 films and still have some left. it's got a sim card slot for internet but I prefer the wireless connection to the galaxy S3 and switch S3 to a hot spot, connection is ample for streaming.

Remember sky go doesn't work on all devices. doesn't work on tablet unless you change the software. which is simple enough!

I never used my laptop in months, I'm typing this on S3. Pc's and laptops are so old hat.

[Edited on 16/9/12 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

stevebubs

posted on 16/9/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I'm looking for something that doesnt cost too much to take out with me in the truck so I can watch my Sky Go, read books, serf the net etc..

Is a Kindle Fire up to that? How do tablets go about connecting to the web?

I have a HTC Wildfire S which frankly is crap on the net, slow, never ending waiting, bombs out.. is that down to my network rather than the phone??? Oh, and the battery life is dismal considering I only really send texts with it!

Sister in law walks round with her ££££££££££ Iphone permanently on the net like a desktop.. how does that happen??

Nexus 7 is perfect for that ... 7 inch screen is OK but I prefer 10in when watching stuff in bed...

Best Android Tablets out there at the moment are the Tegra 3 ones...

stevebubs

posted on 16/9/12 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
3 options for continous connectivity:

1) You can use your phone to connect the tablet
2) You can get one with a radio built-in; just put in a SIM card on a suitable tariff
3) Mifi device

If you've a single device then 2 may be the best option

However if you have lots of tablets or laptops you want to take with you (e.g. we normally take 4 devices to the broadband-free grandparent zone - 2 tablets and 2 laptops) then a Mifi device is the cost-effective medium.

bobinspain

posted on 16/9/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'll probably get laughed off the site here, but my daughter has a Blackberry on contract (18mths so far) and wouldn't change it for the world. I've just ordered a Blackberry Playbook. RRP is £559. I paid 'the going rate' of £150 for a new machine, which the reviewers say is a steal.
I get the impression that without the Blackberry phone, the Playbook is limited in its apps. 90% of her usage is email and documents.
We'll see.

stevebubs

posted on 16/9/12 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
I'll probably get laughed off the site here, but my daughter has a Blackberry on contract (18mths so far) and wouldn't change it for the world. I've just ordered a Blackberry Playbook. RRP is £559. I paid 'the going rate' of £150 for a new machine, which the reviewers say is a steal.
I get the impression that without the Blackberry phone, the Playbook is limited in its apps. 90% of her usage is email and documents.
We'll see.

Don't wan't to alarm but 64Gb Playbook is £129 in Currys/PCWorld at the moment - 16GB is £109 ...

Technically it's a fine device (for its age), and I believe the new OS can function without the phone (although you will need Wifi connectivity).

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/blackberry-playbook-os-2-0-released-today-1065019

when they first started to drop, I was tempted myself but ended up buying a Sony Tablet S.

[Edited on 16/9/12 by stevebubs]

coozer

posted on 16/9/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

2) You can get one with a radio built-in; just put in a SIM card on a suitable tariff
3) Mifi device

However if you have lots of tablets or laptops you want to take with you (e.g. we normally take 4 devices to the broadband-free grandparent zone - 2 tablets and 2 laptops) then a Mifi device is the cost-effective medium.

Err, whats a MIFI device exactly? Never heard of that. (been away from the techie scene toooo long..)

2) Get what with a radio? How does that effect having a sim in whatever it is?

Sorry but I didn't realise I had fallen so far behind the times...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bobinspain

posted on 16/9/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Don't wan't to alarm but 64Gb Playbook is £129 in Currys/PCWorld at the moment - 16GB is £109 ...

Technically it's a fine device (for its age), and I believe the new OS can function without the phone (although you will need Wifi connectivity).

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/blackberry-playbook-os-2-0-released-today-1065019

when they first started to drop, I was tempted myself but ended up buying a Sony Tablet S.

Steve,
Thanks for the observation.
I never looked on Currys/Amazon, but it's academic because they won't post to Spain.
ebay had 100 plus units with folk asking up to £250 a pop. I thought 'I dun good' at £150, (p&p inc).
I suppose when you consider I was willing to fork out for a new ipad2 at 425e, I did ok.

DanP

posted on 16/9/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Suprised no one has mentioned win8 yet.

October 26th will bring a deluge of new tablets, win8 is a great os (have spent time using) and believe me android will just cease to have any decent market share on 10+" devices afterwards.

The Microsoft surface is rumored to be $199

no connectivity issues, usb, WiFi and windows support for any peripheral you want.

tweek

posted on 16/9/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

3) Mifi device

Err, whats a MIFI device exactly? Never heard of that. (been away from the techie scene toooo long..)

2) Get what with a radio? How does that effect having a sim in whatever it is?

Sorry but I didn't realise I had fallen so far behind the times...

A Mifi is basically a 3G dongle and a wireless router in one device, allows multiple devices to share one 3G connection.

2) he means get a tablet with 3G and wifi

Hope that helps.
John

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

Agriv8

posted on 16/9/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanP
Suprised no one has mentioned win8 yet.

October 26th will bring a deluge of new tablets, win8 is a great os (have spent time using) and believe me android will just cease to have any decent market share on 10+" devices afterwards.

The Microsoft surface is rumored to be $199

no connectivity issues, usb, WiFi and windows support for any peripheral you want.

I have need running win 8 on my net book for 2 months and it is excellent. My worry is if apps get developed for It if there are programs to easily port existing apps from android / apple to windows 8 they might be on for a winner.

Ab agriv8 from wife's iPad 2

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.