Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel depot goes up
Browser

posted on 11/12/05 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris.russell
I was having a drink in my work shops at work when the lights, windows and the overhead crane all moved! and I'm in Didcot! though it was something out on the plant tripping until I turned the telly on to hear the news.

With your Siemens GTs mate, I wouldn't be at all suprised Shoulda got GE frame 9E's mate, they're old but they're good

steve_gus

posted on 12/12/05 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
well, i didnt hear it, but i was at chester on a weekend break

Drive past there every three weeks - glad this wasnt a weekend to visit the parents!

Im wondering how many people DID actually hear it from very far off - someone said on a tv interview that it sounded like a door slamming 100 odd miles away... just might have been a door slamming! I read reports on the BBC that it was heard on the continent.

thing is, sound travels at 600 odd miles an hour. An explosion at 6.03 would have been heard 15-20 mins or so later on the continent and someone fifty miles away would have heard it about 5 mins later...

atb

steve

[Edited on 12/12/05 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r3nuf

posted on 12/12/05 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
My company has just completed a demolition contract there (last week), for Texaco.

Bet they wish they hadn't paid us all that money now!

Glad we had finished and demobilised, cos they normally blame us demolition contractors for everything.

We did remove quite a bit of asbestos prior to demolition though, so i am glad that has gone, and there is a little less in the atmosphere.

Cheers

Gary

Drive Fast....Brake Late....Take Chances

theconrodkid

posted on 13/12/05 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
at last its out,big cheer for the firemen that did it,biggest fire in europe since ww2.
my company is trying to get a contract checking the polution aspect of the site,that will be fun,up to my knees in oily sludge and not being able to have a cig all day

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Fozzie

posted on 13/12/05 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant news that it has finaly been put out!
Although the cr*p in the skies is still overhead (here anyway)...

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

donut

posted on 13/12/05 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently it's not that harmfull, unless your very young, old or asthmatic................... or if you smoke

I think they're more worried about the foam in the water supply. Anyhoo good news it's out.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 13/12/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Currently suffering from brochitis at the mo, Andy....been on the medication for nearly a week...soon be finished!

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Simon

posted on 13/12/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
So the government wants us all to drive economical (low co2 emitting) vehicles!!!

I reckon that single pop has done more environmental damage in a couple of days than the UK car pop will in a couple of years.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 13/12/05 by Simon]

JoelP

posted on 13/12/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
60 odd million litres of fuel and a mountain of plastics etc... in reality, cars and planes in the UK probably use that much every week or two

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/12/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I heard a quote the other day,

A jumbo jet uses more fuel from standing still on the runway to being 10' off the runway, than any driver will use in their entire lifetime, I didnt believe it until I started working it out

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 13/12/05 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
thats why i try to avoid foreign holidays mark, not because im scared of flying

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.