Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how long are V6 and V4 engines?
goodall

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
well why do car makers go for split prop shafts?

but i have applied some of my engineering knowledge and i see how different angles would also cause it but i still think its also got something to do with the shaft twisting

gazza285

posted on 20/2/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodall
well why do car makers go for split prop shafts?

Much easier to balance over short lengths, less lash at high rpm, to incorporate a sliding section and to gain ground clearance. Other that that, no idea.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goodall

posted on 20/2/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
was a rhetorical question that wasnt ment to be answered because we all know the answer and i was thinking maybe some of those reasons also applied to the split half shaft in many modern fwd cars
gazza285

posted on 20/2/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry then.

Non of those reasons apply to a FWD drive shaft as the FWD driveshaft is running at a lot lower speed, is a lot shorter, the diff is much lower than the driveshaft and the CV joints do the job of the sliding section.

The only reason I can see for having split FWD driveshafts is to reduce torque steer.
If your FWD driveshafts are suffering from windup them I must congratulate you on having superb grip. Most torque steer is cause by weight transfer due to poor front geometry or incorrect scrub radius.

I had an Alfa Sprint once.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goodall

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
im not saying the shaft is twisting by a huge amount its just a bit enough to pull one side a greater distance for a short moment causing a turning motion which then exaggerates this effect, you have to remember that steel has a springing coefficient to it and will change shape, some half shafts are very long and even at the lower speed it turns at i could imagine it still causing g forces if it was out off balance by abit. as for the sliding bit i know that done by the cv but remember i said some of the same reasons

anyway this is way of what my question was about i just wanted to know about short V engines nothing more

[Edited on 20/2/07 by goodall]

Liam

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Assymetric shaft windup is undoubtedly one of the many factors, but the fact that modern fwd cars with this very transmission layout that you're criticising dont torque steer in practise, should tell you it isn't a major factor.

Certainly not a main criteria for choosing one donor transmission over another, or a good reason for choosing a tranny that gives you such packaging problems.

Liam

goodall

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
but both transmissions would cause packing problems
gazza285

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'll leave this topic alone then because I don't know of any V4 engines that have been fitted to a car in the last 30 years, and I can't see the point in having a AWD/ 4WD performance car with a thirty year old engine with 80bhp and no tuning potential because it gives you equal length driveshafts at the end with the least foward grip.

Liam

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
but both transmissions would cause packing problems

Well you're the one putting this stuff in a mini!!

But seriously - yeah true, but the ford option wont give you half the headache you're having with this crazy hunt for this magic 10" long engine that produces power. Did you look at that 4x4 mini site I linked? Even if you can fit audi quattro tranny in a mini, why would you want to build something with the weight of the engine and box sooooo far forwards? How do you think it'll handle? It'll be front heavy enough with the ford tranny, but at least you have 2/3 power to the rear for some chance of avoiding understeer. And proper LSDs that you dont have to lock yourself (assuming you're not considering modern quattro stuff with torsen centre and rear diffs.

Dont think i'm some audi bashing ford fanboy or something - i'm just trying to give you what I think is the best advice. Audi quattro tranny in a mini just dont work in my mind and your one reason for disregarding the ford tranny isnt really valid.

Liam

goodall

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
id be going for the audi transmission with a torsen mid diff for sure, i took a look at that web site and it does look good alright, iv never seen a ford 4x4 gearbox in real life so i dont know what they are like as for weight up front that is a concern but neither transmission really gets away from that problem.

maybe its just not worth while doing this idea

smart51

posted on 21/2/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Back to the original topic. Why not use a bike V twin. Very short front to back. 2CV engines are also short but you'll need several of them. What about the VW beetle flat 4? The later brazilian imports had EFI (f you can find one) and were said to be very good engines due to the 50 years of development they had.
NS Dev

posted on 21/2/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
bike twins are short but you are still looking at 400mm ish for my Aprilia twins

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 21/2/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
PS current road car is an XR4x4 and i can categorically say the only time you know the front wheels have drive is on ice and snow or gravel, where you can feel some slight pull at the wheel.

On tarmac, wet or dry, the rear bias of the drive plus the equal length shafts mean you just get grip, and lots of it, together with an excellent rwd type steering feel.

footnote, my 4x4 is a workhorse, not a preened toy car, and I only like em cos they are totally bulletproof!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

rav

posted on 21/2/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought - if fitting and transmission (Audi or Ford or whatever else) & engine in the front of a mini is troublesome, why put it there?

Theres far more space in the back!
No hassle of working around a tiny engine bay or modifying the scuttle. Then you can choose from all sorts of pokey engines & boxes and as long as the engine sits right behind the seats it will be mid-engined, probably with a slight rear weight bias. Which means potentially much better handling than the front heavy sardine tin approach.

If it has to be 4x4 and thats putting you off, I'm pretty sure the Lancia Delta S4/ RS200 style transmission layout is do-able, even on a locost budget.

Any longitudinal engine and RWD box combo (as long as the box is narrow since its a mini and it has to fit between the seats, or rather the seats have to fit beside it!) facing the opposite way, a transfer box mounted down near your feet somewhere sending drive front and rear via propshafts on the passenger side, into a couple of suitable diffs.

All those bits are available, then its just a case of mounting them all and making some propshafts and possibly driveshafts.

It would mean adding a structural framework to carry all those bits, but then if you're going to be driving it hard you'd probably want a cage anyway....

A type 9 box is 6" wide, as long as that could fit centrally between the seats I think it would be possible.

Alternatively, bike engine mounted behind the seats, chain driving a centre diff. Engine would be on the passenger side, assuming you didn't flip the diffs, so it would be nicely balanced with the driver on board. Someone must have done that before?

Mark

goodall

posted on 21/2/07 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
nah i to keep it as a four seater so mid engine is a no
rav

posted on 21/2/07 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is there something special about the number 4?!
Liam

posted on 22/2/07 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

maybe its just not worth while doing this idea

Nah dont give up that easy! You know the ford tranny will go in from that 4x4 mini website. I dont think the quattro will work unless you can find this crazy short engine but ah well - ford is better anyway with the rear power bias.

Another option is to give yourself a teeny bit more room - what about a pug 205 5-door? Still ultra light and what a sleeper that'd be with 4wd and a decent amount of power.

Hmmm or what about quattro backwards? You may be able to flip the front diff in the case (not sure but i know you can with a certain similar transaxle - possibly renault un1 - maybe rav'll remember i'm sure we looked at this once). And turn the rear diff upside down. Ok now the engine is sticking out the arse of a mini but that's better than the front. You could make the engine cover look like you have a chest of drawers sticking out boot - would surprise a few at the lights

Liam

goodall

posted on 22/2/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a nice idea haveing it sticking out of the boot but i want to shock people a little less than that

nah i want it to be a mini for the design its just a little british classic

no the number 4 just happens to be the number of people you can carry in a standard mini

just i was thinking if i could get a 1.3 V4 that give out about 150 bhp at the most i could use two mini subframes and hopefully have more than 8 points (dont have to do a sva) and then just insure it as a standard 1.3 mini and claim to the insurance company if i crash i got the car like that and since the engine size is right i might just still be insured, unlikely i know but worth a try, anyway im not planing on crashing since i built it (not that very many people plan on crashing their car anyway)

[Edited on 22/2/07 by goodall]

locost_bryan

posted on 23/2/07 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
Anybody mentioned the Honda 116bhp VF1000 V4? Or the 125bhp Pan European ST1300?

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

goodall

posted on 23/2/07 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
but can you mount them to a normal gearbox with ease?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.