Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: A query on inboard shocks...
JoelP

posted on 20/6/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by short track 123
If you put a set of scales under the wheel with a block supporting the chassis and remove the bolts from the shock is this unsprung weight ?

not to me...

Unsprung mass represents more than just the literal mass that is unsprung, it must also take into account its position in order to represent how much affect it has on the ability of the wheel to move fast.

If you extended your wishbone 10 feet out to the side, a kilo weight would make it very hard to move the wheel. That same weight attached 1cm away from you inner pivot (on the wishbone still) wouldnt affect the wheel at all. An inch of wheel travel would move the weight 10" in the first example but maybe only 1mm in the second, this obviously involves very different amounts of energy.

The same idea applies to the rocker and rods.

For simplicity of comparison, you could break items into a few groups. Stuff at the wheel and moveing with it, ie your wheel itself, tyre, discs, calipers, cycle wings etc. Stuff that is only moving at one end, which you could roughly halve for comparison with the first group. This would be wishbones, brake flexis, your spring etc. Another group would be the things that dont fall easily into the first groups, and this group is where rockers and pushrods would fall. Stuff at 45 degrees like your pushrod would move 70% less than the wheel items, so would be less important. Your rocker would be roughly 35% biased, as its both pivoting and only moving with the 70% of the pushrod.

That gets a bit complex though, which is never a good start.

The most accurate way to measure your unsprung mass would be to apply a force and measure acceleration, as this would automatically include the bias's above. However, you would then also have to exclude gravity, which takes us in a neat circle as to the use of bathroom scales - measure the weight at the wheels, covert to newtons, add balast to round the weight at the wheel to a comparable amount (ie 20kgs), measure the acceleration under gravity, work out the actual mass from that, deduct the balast added, and VOLIA, several hours wasted on an internet discussion.

gazza285

posted on 20/6/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not getting invlolved in this one again.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
short track 123

posted on 21/6/07 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Do you know of any good books, web site's where i can find info that cover this area of suspension design all the books i have only quote unsprung mass as mass (moments of inertia are covered i.e mass and distance from pivot point) and have nothing about including force of shocks benning included in the un-sprung mass but do cover wheel and spring rates as separate areas.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JoelP

posted on 21/6/07 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
no idea im afraid, i wrote/made that up myself. With your moment of inertias though you're not far off, works fine for outboard suspension but for inboard it needs tweeking.

[Edited on 21/6/07 by JoelP]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.