Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto engine help
Stuart_B

posted on 27/2/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
pinto engine help

hi all, well, i am having a few more theething promblems with my mk. well on num4 cylinder the car was running great and between then and the next time the num4 plug was complet shut up, not sure how it shut? any ideas how it did it?

then after that i opened the plug up, i put a new set of ht leads and i have been out a few times since and be great, but aftetr a while driving to day, it started to run not right so i went home and exmined it, it seems to me that by taking num4 plug cap of made no differance on the engine compraed to the rest. i have not checked it it does spark, but i did check that all the ends are good, but know setting where it might be my manifold leaking on num 4?

any throughts?

by the way the engine is a 1.6 emax engine ruuning on cbr600 bike carbs.

thanks

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

aerosam

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
could you expand a bit on "running not right"? Is it misfiring, running on 3 cylinders, any nasty noises? etc.

All the best,

Sam

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

Stuart_B

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
so soory, i all ways leave out the bit which is need.lol

well it started poping and i gussed it may not be running on all 4 such as it is running on 3, like i found out when i got home.

hope that helps with more info.

stuart

omega0684

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
have you put a new set of plug in?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart_B

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
thay have done about 150 miles, but i think i will by a set saturday morning.

stuart

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
logic would say to check all the plugs again and see if 4 was shut up again. If it is then you may have problems. We used to have a high compression pinto 2 litre with a skimmed head and the block deck machined as well. If you put the plugs in with the finger of the electrode in the wrong place it'd shut the plug.
So you could have the wrong plugs for the engine or a highly altered high compression head/block plug clearance issue OR
if it's no4 again then perhaps a fecked big end or little end allowing the piston to come up farther than normal

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Stuart_B

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
the plug, was open as it should be this time. so that puzzled me a bit, but then i throught maybe to much air geeting in the cylinder? or rotor arm or cap?

could it to do with it being warm then cooling down and then using again?

about plug clearnce, i was talking to a person how skims his head down to the plug hole, i think about a 3mm skim he does. and he said you have to make sure the electrode is in the right place.

could it be a vaule like that? or something different.

stuart

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
check for spark, check for fuel, and check for compression and see what results you get first.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

delboy

posted on 27/2/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
When you change the plugs, make sure that you mark each one with the position of the electrode. When you put them in ensure that the mark sits at between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. That way if you have a lot taken off of the head the piston will not hit and close the electrode. If you haven't skimmed the head and decked the block its likely that you have a problem with number 4 conrod and big end allowing more movement on number 4.
The Baron

posted on 28/2/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I used to get terrible probelms wih my pinto if i used champion or NGK plugs. I went back to ford motorcraft plugs (2.0 spec) and i have never had a problem since. Mine was also the emax engine.

Cheers,

B

Stuart_B

posted on 28/2/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
hi, well i had a look today, and my carbs has come off the manifold, so it is sucking to much air in. so looks like a new manifold needed.

thanks for all your help from every one, i will let you what happens.

stuart

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.