Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inboard shocks
Piledhigher

posted on 15/2/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Inboard shocks

All,

Has anyone looked at rear sport bike shocks for the front end of their car, particularly inboard systems?

Cory Rescued attachment hy shock.jpg
Rescued attachment hy shock.jpg

pbura

posted on 15/2/04 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
There was a big discussion on the Yahoo Locost list about a week ago.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/locost

What kind of shock is that in your picture? I've bought a couple of similar Yamaha R6 shocks (plentiful and have been/are being used by a few builders already). Presently shopping for a couple more for the back.

Steve Graber is using them on his one-off "La Bala", and I plan to copy his pull-rod system in the front. The back will have to different, though, and I am presently planning IRS, probably with a shock box or rack on top of the differential cage.

Pete

[Edited on 15/2/04 by pbura]

Pete

ceebmoj

posted on 15/2/04 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
do you remember the topic discusion

Blake

pbura

posted on 15/2/04 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
do you remember the topic discusion

Blake

Yep, it was "coil over shocks". Or you could just search "inboard shocks".

Same on this site, lots of past discussion about inboards, not so much about bike shocks, though.

Pete

Piledhigher

posted on 15/2/04 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
The picture above is of a yamaha r1 rear shock.
ceebmoj

posted on 15/2/04 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
After the talk about using a bike shock and inboard system any thourts on using bike callipers and disks also mounted in board on the rear end.
Piledhigher

posted on 16/2/04 at 03:16 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know about using bike brakes on a non-BEC. Seen it done on some hot rods though with regular calipers.

BTW, just paid for a pair of yamaha r1 rear shocks (2002-2003) from ebay, $69.50 (with shipping). Yeah!!

Cory
Houston, TX

pbura

posted on 16/2/04 at 03:49 AM Reply With Quote
Just won my third 2002 R6 shock! Should have held out for R1 or 2003 R6, though. They have a nicer finish, I think.

For the uninitiated, these are some damned nice shocks. Adjustable in compression and rebound (separately), gas monotube, and aluminum body. Cost new is about $500 each, I think. The reason they go so cheap is that the hotshots are upgrading to a yet fancier brand (Penske and Ohlins).

So, Cory, have you had a chance to do a little more research yet? Got any specific concerns?

Do you happen to know the spring rating on the R1 shocks? The R6 are 543 lbs/in, and one nagging concern I have is the force that they will exert on the chassis. 2-3 times a normal shock load.

Blake, I'm sort of ignorant about bikes generally, including brakes. Stopping power ought to be fine, I suppose, if you use gear from a high-powered bike. Haven't a clue about what sort of master cylinders to use, etc. It seems like a good idea, though. Don't talk about it too much or I'll be wanting to use bike brakes, too, and my complication level is already high enough, thanks!!

Pete

Piledhigher

posted on 16/2/04 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Pete,

Do not know that much about the R1 coilover except the length and travel is what I am looking for and the price is right. The spring can, and likely will, be swapped out for one that will be closer to my needs. Also, these can be revalved by Racetech. With new springs and revalving, I will still come out way cheaper than going for a set of rebuildable Penski or Bilsteins.

I have built my front end out of 1X2 0.083 wall tubing to handle (I hope) the forces generated by this setup. See my photo archive for current status of frame.

Cory

pbura

posted on 16/2/04 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Truly, in this Locost thing you learn something new every day. Revalving never entered my mind, and momentary I thought, "If they can be revalved, then I don't have to foll with inboards"! Then I remembered the gas reservoirs, and it wouldn't do to have them hanging out there in the breeze.

Does Racetech have a standard price for revalving? I am planning on just reducing the effective spring rate by using approx. 2:1 (front) and 3:1 (rear) leverage ratios in the shock linkages. In this case, the original springs and valving can be used, though heavier-duty mountings will be needed.

I think I'll check out Racetech, but will probably opt for the Locost route and use as is.

Thanks!

Pete

sgraber

posted on 16/2/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
then I don't have to foll with inboards"! Then I remembered the gas reservoirs, and it wouldn't do to have them hanging out there in the breeze.

Hi, just to mention there are a number of bike shockies that have external reservoirs with rubber hose connection... Can't name them off-hand though. Re-spring those and you could use them outboard.

(HOWEVER... IMHO - the pullrod setup looks 'cooler'. Which is reason enough to use it anyways!!! )

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pbura

posted on 16/2/04 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Hi, just to mention there are a number of bike shockies that have external reservoirs with rubber hose connection... Can't name them off-hand though. Re-spring those and you could use them outboard.

(HOWEVER... IMHO - the pullrod setup looks 'cooler'. Which is reason enough to use it anyways!!! )

Graber

CB1000s have the separate reservoir, no doubt among others, but it's too late to change now! I've bought 3 of the Yamaha shocks already, just one to go.

Got to say, I'm impressed by the merchandise, very nicely made.

[edit]

AND, lest I forget...Thanks, Steve, for pioneering the effort! Your setup looks the dog's bollocks, as they say. I'm just a tad nervous about taking on IRS. Not the geometry so much as the structural part.

[Edited on 16/2/04 by pbura]

Pete

sgraber

posted on 16/2/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete, I'm sure there were others before me... I just talk about it (A LOT! heheh)

BTW - I have been driving my car 'round the block, fast enough to powerslide around the 90's (don't tell the wife) , and the shocks apparently work great. There are some deep-ish concrete drainage channels across the intersections that I am taking at about 40MPH and the suspension is supple, not jarring at all.

Steve Graber

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pbura

posted on 16/2/04 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Good thing you have some broad-minded neighbors!

Do you have a manual that tells how to adjust these things? Certainly not an urgent matter at my stage of the build , but I'm curious.

Pete

sgraber

posted on 16/2/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
Good thing you have some broad-minded neighbors!

Do you have a manual that tells how to adjust these things? Certainly not an urgent matter at my stage of the build , but I'm curious.

Point #1 - screw 'em all (I used to have a t-shirt that said "Kill'em all: Let God sort them out" all kidding aside... I always take care past the small children and old ladies who call the cops...

Point #2 - why yes, yes indeed I do. :-) I will scan and post on my site in the next week or so. No problemo.

Steve Graber

Alan B

posted on 16/2/04 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura ......Your setup looks the dog's bollocks, as they say. ....

Godammit.....you'll be saying bonnet, boot, aluminium and petrol next...
BTW, you are right inboard shocks are canine gonads indeed...

Alan B...converting America....... one yank at a time....

sgraber

posted on 16/2/04 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hip Hip. Cherio then.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:
Originally posted by pbura ......Your setup looks the dog's bollocks, as they say. ....

Godammit.....you'll be saying bonnet, boot, aluminium and petrol next...
BTW, you are right inboard shocks are canine gonads indeed...

Steve Graber

Alan B

posted on 16/2/04 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Funny thing Steve....I've never heard anyone say that.....who is English...

I'll teach ya some stuff...

sgraber

posted on 16/2/04 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'll teach ya some stuff...

Hehe, bring yer own tea bags...

Steve Graber

pbura

posted on 16/2/04 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, geez, I love the way the Brits talk. One of my favorites is, "Can't be arsed". I use it all the time.

For cultural reference, the equivalent of doggie danglers that I grew up with was "the cat's ass". Interesting contrast.

here's something that may come in handy for LB readers:

http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/dictionary/

Pete

Pete

sgraber

posted on 17/2/04 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
That got off-topic!

[Edited on 2/17/04 by sgraber]

Steve Graber

Spyderman

posted on 17/2/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Well done Alan!

One of our more successful missionaries!

Pete that is a useful site.
Could do with one that does local dialects for the UK and also for USA, especially those southerners!

Terry

Spyderman

pbura

posted on 18/2/04 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SpydermanCould do with one that does local dialects for the UK and also for USA, especially those southerners!

Well, Terry, how about Cornish translated to Ghetto? Now that would sell a (very few) copies!

Ghetto Dictionary

Guess we're done talking about shocks, then

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.