Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: S.V.A Fail, last bit to do
smudge88

posted on 9/5/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
S.V.A Fail, last bit to do

Hi all

Rather new to this have managed to get this far without asking questions etc just looking on the forum for what others have done, but on this one I am stuck.

Sva failed, usual sharp edges etc, but for the axle weights I put down 450kg (as other people have done) on both axles, unfortunately with me in the car and a 36 ltr fuel tank FULL the weight was 462kg.

Therefore “The declared maximum permitted weight of any axle is less than the calculated maximum weight for that axle” I was advised by the sva examiner, to get a letter from the manufacture to say that the chassis could take more axle weight than I have declared,
I have written to Ron champion, as it’s a book Locost chassis but after 3 weeks, no response

Has anyone else had this and if so what did they do to get round it? Or could any body on here do a letter, with a calculation worked into the text, confirming that the chassis can handle more than the 450kg axle weight.

Many thanks

Grant

greggors84

posted on 9/5/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you put 450kg for each axle then the total will be 900kg which is exactly what I did.

Was the total weight 462kg? Or on just one axle, as that would be quite heavy for a kit car. Most are total 450 - 700kg.

If you did put 450 for each axle and not 450 total weight and your total weight was 462 when weighed then it seems the examiner has made a mistake.

Edit: By the way, good luck getting hold of Ron Champion. It seems he disappeared a while ago. Maybe living in southern Spain or in Rio.

[Edited on 9/5/2009 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

theconrodkid

posted on 9/5/09 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
looks like inspector error....tho i doubt they would admit to it,as for ron,last seen in spain with a young Filipino i believe

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

smudge88

posted on 9/5/09 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris
I put 450kg for each axle, the front weighed in about 385kg as I recall I had in total 6 pages of failure a lot of things I thought was silly.
Regards
Grant

DavidM

posted on 9/5/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Did you make your own chassis? What did you put for your gross vehicle weight?

David

Proportion is Everything

smudge88

posted on 9/5/09 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David
900kg for gross weight, no I did not make my own chassis and I have tried others as well as Mr Champion to get a letter.
As I have my S.V.A retest on Thursday its starting to get desperate
Regards
Grant

Chippy

posted on 9/5/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Grant, if you are talking about Southampton, I had the same problem. All I did was write a letter stating"To whome it may concern" and then put down the correct axle weights. As I understand it the reason for the weights has nothing to do with the car or chassis, its to make sure that the tyres are the correct spec for the weight of the car. Hope that helps. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Simon

posted on 9/5/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I had same failure point and wrote a letter to test centre:

Dear Mr ,

Vehicle NR No.:
Make/Model:
VIN/Chassis No.:

With reference to my Single Vehicle Approval Test failure on day month, year, I can advise the Design Weights as follows:

Front: 500kg
Rear: 500kg
Total: 1000kg

I trust this is in order.

Yours, blah blah

Was fine.

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.