Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: teaching son to drive
andy o

posted on 11/5/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
teaching son to drive

anybody know the law as regards teaching offspring to drive.apart from l plates,must they be a named driver etc?
blakep82

posted on 11/5/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
they have to be insured on the car yes!
and if anything happens, and you need to drive the car after you should be insured on the car too.

you should be over 21 (i'm sure you are ) and had a license for at least 3 years

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iank

posted on 11/5/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I also believe you are counted as being in charge of the car so can't be over the booze limit (so no getting a learner to drive you back from the pub).

Other than that is the best advice is to pay for professional lessons, probably cheaper than the insurance costs and a lot less strain on the nerves

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ReMan

posted on 11/5/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Over 21, licence for three years.
You don't have to be insured, but the driver does.
And, or should that be but, you need to be fit to drive as you are technically in charge

JoelP

posted on 11/5/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
my dad taught me how to move a car in carparks when i was young, which was good because i was at an age where i would still listen to him! Come 17 i thought i knew it all so probably wouldnt've got on well with lessons.

On the plus side you get to keep an eye on his attitude to driving, on the down side though he may feel he can take more liberties with you beside him rather than an instructor!

MautoK

posted on 11/5/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
In the interests of maintaining a reasonably cordial ongoing interpersonal relationship with son & heir, I willingly paid for his lessons with a driving instructor.
Particularly valuable was the six week course he did at age 16 1/2 on private ground.
Moreover, he didn't pick up my bad habits!

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

thefreak

posted on 11/5/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
My dad tought me how to drive when I was 17, gave me loads of practice as he'd got lots of patience. Gave me a lot of confidence when I took lessons and had 10 before I took my test and passed first time
Good old dads lol

David Jenkins

posted on 11/5/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't have the patience, so paid for lessons for both my kids! They got them as their 17th birthday present.

zetec

posted on 11/5/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm teaching my 12 daughter with the under 17 car club...Lessons on Castle Combe circuit. Great seeing 14 year olds blasting their dads cars about! She cant wait to get to a higher grade and show her old man how to really drive the MK!
red22

posted on 11/5/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Can't beat the Under17 club. Both my daughters learnt to drive there. Excellent fun.
need4speed

posted on 11/5/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I took my lad out but he also had lessons as I know I have bad habbits and things have changed since I passed back in well some time ago.

But it's a lot cheaper than having all lessons you can do the reversing round corners, turning in the road and bay parking easy enough once thay have been shown by the driving instructor.

idl1975

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy o
anybody know the law as regards teaching offspring to drive.apart from l plates,must they be a named driver etc?

I would second (third? fifth?) the comments about just getting him lessons. I suppose it may work to start him out in a deserted car park and teach him the basics. But the instructor will teach him to drive to the test, which will save him a lot of time and aggro.

Even drivers very much on the safe and steady side of things will do stuff that will fail them on the test, so it's pointless teaching him to drive like you. You have to do everything in the just the way they're looking for.

cd.thomson

posted on 12/5/09 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
surprised that so many are suggesting to just get lessons.

I would say it takes two factors to become a good driver - being tought technique in a structured way and being tought how to deal with every day situations. The first you can pay for, the second you get from spending hours on the road.

I suppose if you have enough money you could pay £100 a week for them to have lessons daily! My dad didnt have the patience to take me out, and I turned my mum into a jibbering wreck, without her though I doubt I'd have passed first time and got through the "danger years" without an accident.

[Edited on 12/5/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

iank

posted on 12/5/09 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
...My dad didnt have the patience to take me out, and I turned my mum into a jibbering wreck...

Can you see the reason why people are suggesting the parent pays for lessons just there?

I agree with your statement about real world practice, but with the additional cost of putting a 17 year old learner on your insurance these days you can buy a lot of hours with an instructor.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

JoelP

posted on 12/5/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I taught my wife to drive, now that is a risky thing to try!

Id say you have to insure them on your car anyway for additional practice.

JeffHs

posted on 12/5/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I started driving with my Dad but the rows were terrible, so Mum sat with me. First time pass.
Then I taught a friend before we drove together to Sicily sharing the driving. Went on to teach my wife (more rows), sister, brother and 2 sons - all but one first time passes.
If you've got the right attitude and you don't allow emotions to get in the way - why not?

sickbag

posted on 12/5/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm teaching my daughter how to drive at our local super-market before the shops open. It's always deserted but still plenty of obstacles to work her way around to keep it relevant.

Doing it this way will make it easier for when she starts taking 'proper' lessons in 4 years time.

It also makes it easier to give her the controls when we go out on track.

Finally back on the job!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.