Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Halogen downlighters in a Lath and plaster ceiling?
tegwin

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Halogen downlighters in a Lath and plaster ceiling?

I just fitted three 40W halogen downlighters over the sink in the kitchen on a dimmer switch...

They work really well and look really nice (once I cleaned up the plaster dust!)

However... the lights are this sort: with the back of the bulb exposed inside the floor void..

I now have a slight concern that the bulbs will get hot and could cause the laths to catch fire.... Is this a real threat, or am I just being a bit OTT?

None of the wood actually touches the bulb itself... but the holder gets pretty hot!

Have I been a muppet and fitted the wrong sort of lights?

[Edited on 22/6/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

DavidW

posted on 22/6/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't dare do it after someone said it was a bad idea.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who knows.

delboy

posted on 22/6/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
you could consider using a intumescent down lighter cover, they are available from people like envirograph. It would at least give you some comfort if they over heat.
bbwales

posted on 22/6/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Another fix, you could use LED downlighters, the only problem is that they are £10 quid a lamp.

HTH

Bob

s2gse

posted on 22/6/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
fitting downlights in a plaster and lath ceiling is a bad idea for 2 reasons

1. the wooden laths can get very hot and burn
2. this type of downlight is not permitted to be fitted to a ceiling void where a room is above or a loft this is because where the plaster fire barrier is broken by a downlight the fire can spread from room to room

you will need to use fire rate downlights with a built in fire hood
see link below
http://www.aurora.eu.com/ProductPages/ListCategory.aspx?b=50&c=88

hope this helps

life's to short and so was the drive

MikeRJ

posted on 23/6/09 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by s2gse

2. this type of downlight is not permitted to be fitted to a ceiling void where a room is above or a loft

That pretty much rules out most rooms in the majority of homes I should think?

Liam

posted on 23/6/09 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by s2gse2. this type of downlight is not permitted to be fitted to a ceiling void where a room is above or a loft this is because where the plaster fire barrier is broken by a downlight the fire can spread from room to room

Not true - the only ceilings that need to be fire rated in a typical domestic situation are those above garages and between a 1st and second floor (i.e. a normal 2-storey house with a loft conversion). Only if the property is divided into seperate flats do all floors between flats need to be fire rated.

I'd shudder at the thought of cutting holes in a lath and plaster ceiling - recipe for a crumbly mess! Sounds like you've already managed it though - wow! But you really need F-rated downlights (symbol is a letter F in an upside-down triangle). This is not the same as fire rated and just means the luminaire can be mounted to combustible materials - i.e. wood. Your's got this symbol on them?

Fitting energy saving lamps (CFL or LED) will almost eliminate hot running, but isn't reeeeeeally an acceptable solution if you've fitted non F-rated downlights, cos anybody could retro-fit halogens. Be vigilant that nobody fits halogens until 2012 when they're all banned anyway!

Liam

P.S. I hope you've notified mr building control about this

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 23/6/09 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

P.S. I hope you've notified mr building control about this

There were already light fittings on the cieling.. so I just replaced like for like... which is not a notifiable job!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

vindicator

posted on 23/6/09 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I replaced one normal light bulb at the top of our stairsway which was suppose to be enough light for walking up the stairs and across the landing to any one of 5 rooms. I put in 7 of these down lighters in the ceiling which then goes into the loft area. I also noticed that they did get very warm and was advised to make sure that each lamp was covered at the back of the lamp for fire safety.

So far, I have left two bulbs in that have failed as it is like spot lights every where you walk.

At least you don't fall down the stairs because it was too dark.....

Regards

TimR

timr.spaces.live.com---build blog

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.