Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damaged Sump - Help please
RoadkillUK

posted on 12/8/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Damaged Sump - Help please

I'm in Skegness atm, on my jollies. I have managed to scrape my sump today and it's leaking about 1 drop every 10 seconds, I've got a tray under it atm, catching drips.
Question is, how can I fix it 'til I get back home?
I was thinking of that liquid metal, the stuff you mix up? Advice please.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 12/8/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Nowt to lose mate, give it ago. You got an oil pressure gauge?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 12/8/09 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
If you can find a motor factors that sell "QuikSteel", it works pretty well. It's a plastic tube, silver with black writing that conatins an epoxy putty that you mix by kneading. Obviously you need to clean the area of oil before applying it.
TPG

posted on 12/8/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
get a small amount of body filler from halfrauds or the like. Clean it with brake cleaner or something that dissovles as it dries and key it well and try that

..Which was nice..

maxey74

posted on 12/8/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
SOAP

I think you may struggle to keep the area free from oil as 'whatever' cures as oil will be seeping through from inside the sump.

If you do have problems try breaking a small piece off a bar of soap and pushing it into the hole/scrape... Sounds stupid I know but I've repaired oil tanks before (temporarily) using this method. If it holds, it should give you time to clean around it properly and apply a more permanent fix (chemical metal etc) over the top of it.

I'm very near Skegness as well but I live here... for my sins

jollygreengiant

posted on 12/8/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Screw a self tapper in to temporarily seal the hole and then cover that with epoxy/quick metal once degreased. that should see you home.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

BenB

posted on 12/8/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Frost sell something called Oyltite stik though not sure where you can get it in Skeggy!! I reckon body filler or that kind of thing will just fall out unless you whip the sump off clean it well etc etc... And if you're going to do that you may as well take it to someone to get it welded....
Danozeman

posted on 12/8/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
ally or steel sump?? Can younot geti it welded somewhere near where you are??

If it steel it will braze up easy enough.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

RoadkillUK

posted on 12/8/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maxey74
I think you may struggle to keep the area free from oil as 'whatever' cures as oil will be seeping through from inside the sump.

If you do have problems try breaking a small piece off a bar of soap and pushing it into the hole/scrape... Sounds stupid I know but I've repaired oil tanks before (temporarily) using this method. If it holds, it should give you time to clean around it properly and apply a more permanent fix (chemical metal etc) over the top of it.

Thanks, I think I'll give this a go. Thanks too for the other suggestions

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

RoadkillUK

posted on 12/8/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maxey74

Thanks, I think I'll give this a go. Thanks too for the other suggestions

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

RoadkillUK

posted on 13/8/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
So far so good, I rubbed some soap over the hole which sealed it instantly. Used some household degreaser to clean it up then give it a bit of a rub down with some wet and dry (rough), mix up some of that liquid metal, splodge it on ... job done

Thanks all xxx

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

maxey74

posted on 14/8/09 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one, glad to help

Max

UncleFista

posted on 14/8/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Maxey, did you drive through Ingoldmells last Saturday ? A yellow 7 with a Hyabusa engine drove past me on Sat (I was on foot) which looked very similar to the one in your avatar.

Nice car

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

RoadkillUK

posted on 15/8/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thought I'd let you all know that the soap and liquid metal sump fix worked a treat, 3 hour drive 125 miles later, still sealed.

Thanks again Max.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.