Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Oil pressure switch
ReMan

posted on 21/8/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Oil pressure switch

SAs per previous thread I am looking to replace the Oil pressure switch with a higher rated one (25psi). And a big light
Also possibly fit a gauge
Can anyone confirm the thread on this?
I suspected 1/8NPT, but advised here previously 1/8 BSP.?

Not ungrateful, but can anyone else concurr, before I try and find one?
Any reccomendations for buy one? Rescued attachment IMG_0553zs.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_0553zs.jpg

Davey D

posted on 22/8/09 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
i believe nearly all japanese cars use 1/8 BSP, so i would presume bike engines be the same?

maxey74

posted on 22/8/09 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the thread size but...

I understand that the vibration from bike engines will kill most sender units, at least the ones with variable readings for feeding gauges (not the simple on/off type for the idiot light). I'm doing a similar thing and have come to the conclusion that I should mount the sender on a piece of braided AN hose or similar, to protect it against the vibration.

Anyone got any comments on this?

Guinness

posted on 22/8/09 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maxey74
Not sure about the thread size but...

I understand that the vibration from bike engines will kill most sender units, at least the ones with variable readings for feeding gauges (not the simple on/off type for the idiot light). I'm doing a similar thing and have come to the conclusion that I should mount the sender on a piece of braided AN hose or similar, to protect it against the vibration.

Anyone got any comments on this?

Yup!

I initially mounted my oil pressure gauge sender unit direct to the sump. It lasted about 20 miles before the brass adaptor snapped and left the sender hanging from the wires and all the oil falling out the sump.

Simple switch is OK to install straight into the block / sump, but a pressure sender needs remote mounting (IMHO)

I got all my parts from LMA.

I have a spare M10*1 to1.8 NPT brass threaded adaptor if you need one. (LMA part no 062).

Mike

Mike

bi22le

posted on 22/8/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to etbinstraments (makers of Digi dash) recently about my sender. It should be remote fitted. Using a 'T' Piece and braided hose would be fine. Make sure its all nice and tight. Also seperatly earth the casing of the sender becasue it may not pick a good consistant one from the hose.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ReMan

posted on 23/8/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, just need to find one then!

WHO IS LMA?

[Edited on 24/8/09 by ReMan]

gingerprince

posted on 24/8/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Linky to LMA

As for the threads, I believe that at such a small size, NPT and BSP are pretty much interchangeable, the only difference being the angle of the threads, though if you're ordering hoses I guess it make sense to get the right one

I remote-mounted mine, but hose isn't braided it's just rubber, so had to separately ground my sensor. Sensor is jubilee clipped to chassis, and I've got a bullet connector sandwiched between the jubilee clip and sensor casing which is wired to earth. Not sure if that's the best way, but it seems to do the trick.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.