Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Price-Power-Reliability
I love speed :-P

posted on 31/3/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Price-Power-Reliability

Which is the best engine for all of those three factors above, power wise I am looking for about 150-160bhp, with the poss of going 2 about 200 in a couple of years time.

Btw it has 2 be a car engine and 2 litre or less in size, also if it used an ecu, what are they like,

Thanks 4 ur time

Philip Moreton

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 31/3/04 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a spec for a Zetec car but the Vauxhall guys will tell you that will work also.

Another way round would be start with an
xr3 CVH then go Zetec after SVA.

[Edited on 31/3/04 by britishtrident]

ray.h.

posted on 31/3/04 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
The Zetec would be my choice.
They are appearing in breakers more often and prices are comming down all the time.There are loads of tune up parts available and they are destined to be the Pinto of the future.

zetec

posted on 31/3/04 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
You will need to look at a aftermarket ECU if you want to up the BHP later otherwise you will be limited if using Ford ECU/injection. For 200BHP you will be looking at head and cam mods for zetec, most tuners say cams alone are a waste as the power increase is not that great without porting.

posted on 31/3/04 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
thansk 4 ur answers so far but 2 more questions

1) is it worth converting it 2 carbs
2) how much will it cost 4 150bhp incluing the engine, and then how much more 2 go 2 the 200?

thanks 4 ur time

Philip Moreton

[Edited on 31/3/2004 by I love speed :-P]

Don't Steal

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 31/3/04 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
First thing is do you really want so much power ? A locost is a very light car a little power goes a long way once you get over about 110 bhp the law of dimishing returns applies especially as the Seven hs the aerodynamic of brickwall.

150 bhp is relatively easy with the 1.8 Zetec just change the induction --- however the Zetec is a expensive engine to install in a kit car, most of the companies selling the bolt on bits you need will try to take you to the cleaners. I strongly suspect a 150 bhp Zetec will cost 3 grand by the time you get it fitted., going beyond towards 200 bhp is really just a matter of cams and head --- beyond that forget the Zetec.

Another alternative is the Toyota see RAW enginnering http://www.rawengineering.co.uk/RAW_engines.html

stephen_gusterson

posted on 31/3/04 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
didnt I read sumat on here onece or twice that the zetec need several hundred quid to get it to work - ie ignition, bellhousing, carbs, blah de blah. Its not a cheap choice then.........

Over 2 litres - a rover V8 would fit the bill and so would a cologne if you can get it to fit - 150hp as std and a little over 200 as std if you get a cossie version.

atb

steve

thekafer

posted on 31/3/04 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
The mx5 (miata) seems to be a popular chioce over here.It's a well built 1600 to 2000cc DOHC.they are everywhere,really cheap for what you get(a complete donor).Even daddy Ron just released a Miata based kit. If the tuner mags can be believed they can make an honest 200bhp for relatively cheap.(1600cc)
They are rumored to be very light also.

Just a thought, Fletch.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

richardiainlowe

posted on 1/4/04 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
go for the nissan 200sx engine - ca18det
check out:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=10256

rich

britishtrident

posted on 1/4/04 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Because of this thread I started lookin into Toyota units - very tempting
stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/4/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
check yahoo groups - the aussies use the 4age a lot.

zetec

posted on 1/4/04 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
As soon as you move onto any car without a distributor you are looking at either getting the donor ECU to work or get a aftermarket one, the good news is if you want to change to a different engine in a few years just get the ECU remapped. Work out the figures for most engines and I suspect they will all be almost the same for 150BHP. Good news with zetec/toyota/Vx engines are the most easy to source and reliable enough not to need a rebuild. Try dragging a RV8 out of the donor and not have to spend £££ getting it back to good health, tails of woe about knackered cams/cranks at 80000 miles common.
craig1410

posted on 1/4/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec,
With the money you'd save not having to fart about with fancy ECU's and then building a suitable wiring loom, you could have a Rover V8 pumping out 200BHP+ without breaking a sweat.

I think you'll find that they are also a tad more reliable than you are suggesting, provided they have been well maintained of course. I got my RV8 from an original series 1 SD1 with just over 90k miles on the clock and it runs just fine. I should have it running in the next few weeks once I build a suitable silencer system so you'll be able to hear it for yourself.

In any event I think a limit of 2 litres was included in the question, presumably for insurance purposes so I guess it's academic. I don't honestly see why an RV8 3.5 litre should be any more expensive to insure than a Zetec (or other sub 2 litre engines) as they all put out similar horsepower. The big advantage of the RV8 is that you sound like your going fast even sitting in the garage listening to the burble...

Cheers,
Craig.

zetec

posted on 2/4/04 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure what the farting about bit is...no needles or chokes to change. I've had more hassle with setting up twin carbs than I will ever have with injection. The main reason I went for a zetec is that there are 20 sitting in every scrap yard so if I do blow mine up, and I do try, a couple of hundred quid and 4hrs with the spanners and another one is in and running. Can't imagine RV8 kicking out 200bhp without at least heads and cams being changed and upgrade to standard SU, Vitesse got near it but was that running a fancy fart about ECU. You are right about sound, can't be beat. Each to their own I guess.
craig1410

posted on 2/4/04 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec,
200BHP is easily achievable with a 3.5 litre RV8 and it doesn't require anything major done with heads or cams. There are several routes which you can follow depending on which engine you start off with. Ideally you should start with the Vitesse engine and the first thing you would probably do is throw away (or sell) the "fancy fart about ECU" and replace it with a Holley or ideally a Weber 500 carb. That coupled with a pair of K&N filters and a decent exhaust system would be putting out 210-220BHP as the Vitesse starts out with 193BHP. If you "only" want 200BHP then just fit a pair of K&N's and you are there! The standard ECU will cope with this without any significant changes. Given that you will probably have a more freely flowing exhaust on a side-pipe equipped "seven" anyway then you will probably get a few BHP more than the 193BHP baseline so I wouldn't be surprised if 205BHP was produced with K&N's and side-pipes. If you also have custom headers then another 10-15BHP could be released.

If you start off with a non-Vitesse RV8 then you have a baseline of 155BHP. The best route would be to find a pair of standard Vitesse heads and buy a set of standard (or oversize if rebore required) Vitesse pistons which run 9.75:1 compression ratio. The heads and pistons are the main reason the Vitesse has more power than the standard SD1, it has nothing much to do with the fuel injection system. EFI has more to do with fuel economy and emissions as most people are aware. Carbs are good!

As for changing needles and jets, this is not a problem if you follow a good tuning manual. It just requires a methodical approach. However, if you can't be bothered with this then just go for a "standard" setup. There are many people out there running Vitesse heads with Vitesse pistons and K&N's, freeflowing exhaust, bigger headers etc etc and they will be able to tell you what jets or needles they are using based on dyno testing and setup. You could also get it set up on a dyno yourself which is the best option and this is not as expensive as many people think. Just find a garage who are familiar with your engine and carb which isn't a problem for an RV8 and either a Holley 390 or Weber 500.

You can change cam (note singular) if you like and this will give you perhaps another 10-20BHP for a mild road cam but I'd only do this if the existing cam was worn badly and/or I was stripping the valve gear for some other reason.

So you could have between 200 and 250BHP for anything from the cost of a pair of K&N filters upwards depending on where you start and you wouldn't have to worry about "blowing it up" as it will still be a big lazy V8 and will still have the same unstressed characteristics and bags of smooth torque.

Cheers,
Craig.

phelpsa

posted on 2/4/04 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Bike engine!

R1 and GSXR1000 have 150bhp standard.

Take it to TTS and they will easily get it to 200bhp, or stick on a turbo and get 350bhp.

R1 engines can be had for £800 - £1000 and Gixer 1000 a little less.

Adam

Jamesfear

posted on 2/4/04 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I don’t see your need to justify the rv8. Zetec just answered the question that was asked!

[Edited on 2/4/04 by Jamesfear]

craig1410

posted on 2/4/04 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Didn't the author of this thread mention something about it being a car engine and less than 2 litres displacement...

Here we are talking about 3.5 litre V8's and bike engines!

Cheers,
Craig.

craig1410

posted on 2/4/04 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Jamesfear,
Zetec made comments which I think were misleading and in some cases incorrect so I in turn answered them back! This is a forum after all...

As I have since said, this is all missing the point of the original author so you'll be pleased to hear that I won't be posting any further comments about the RV8. I don't think it was me who mentioned the RV8 in the first place anyway.

Cheers,
Craig.

Jamesfear

posted on 2/4/04 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I did not mean to get on your back m8.
There just is no point in justifying the rv8 because it’s just the tops.
I will be using a zetec in my 7 but I have had lots of v8 land rovers in the past.
Why do you think the army use the landy v8!

posted on 2/4/04 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
hay i dont mind, as long as some1 else use the info it is worth it, so ppl seam 2 think zetec, so how much is it going 2 cost me 4 everything for 150bhp?

p.s. thanks 4 the info so far

Phil

Don't Steal

Jamesfear

posted on 2/4/04 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you use the MegaSquirt Electronic Fuel Injection Computer By Bowling & Grippo keep all the ford injection and get and new intake manifold made up (mine will be the same as the one luego have) you are looking at about £200 to £350 to get the zetec up and running in a seven
timf

posted on 2/4/04 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.raceline.co.uk/zetecframes.htm

for zetec but remeber it can be done cheaper

craig1410

posted on 2/4/04 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Jamesfear,
No probs.
As you can tell I am fiercely protective of the RV8 as it was the engine which my Dad had in two SD1's which he owned during most of my childhood. I love its simplicity and of course the noise!

Despite working for Lucas Automotive Electronics as a design engineer after I graduated, where I worked on the design of the Lucas variant of common rail diesel ECU's, I subscribe to the "simpler is better" approach for the Seven type car. Stick to carbs and simple ignition (no points mind) and you won't go far wrong. If you stick to older engines (pre 1995 IIRC??) then you don't need to worry about catalytic converters and thus you don't need electronic fuel injection.

Anyway, that's me getting off my soapbox now to make space for someone else...

Cheers,
Craig.

NS Dev

posted on 2/4/04 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Without question the Vauxhall XE 16v wins all round here. it has more potential (for the same money) than a Zetec as the Vauxhall valves are bigger and further from the chamber walls. A decent engine which doesn't need a rebuild can be had for £450 and this will put out 150 hp on the standard injection that it comes with. If you don't beleive me about the price, see what Cavalier GSI 16v and astra 16v's are going for!! Just buy a good running car, take what you need and break the rest for spares to get some of the money back. I have used these engines in several cars (Pug 205 RWD, Opel Manta, Grasstrack special), and will shortly be putting one in a locost.

Gearbox-wise, you can either get an adaptor bellhousing (£70 s/h) to use the Ford Type 9 'box or you can use the standard 1800cc Opel Manta gearbox which bolts straight on. (use Astra/Cav pressure plate and 1800 Manta friction Plate) The manta 1800 will also donate a nice alloy lowline big wing sump which they had as standard! (you can pick up an 1800 Manta for £50 if you again want to buy a whole car which is usually cheaper!!)

For upgrading the Vauxhall is by far and away ahead of the Zetec unless you are building a full-race engine with big valves, in which case the Zetec's samll ones are of less significance. I run an internally standard Vauxhall 16v XE 2.0 engine from a Cavalier GSI 16v in my grasstrack racer. I use MBE engine management and throttle bodies and the car gave 176hp @ wheels (204 hp @ flywheel) on John Wilcox Rolling Road in Hinckley. I don't think the Zetec will do that!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.