Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: set up for Netgear WNR 2000 wireless router?
02GF74

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
set up for Netgear WNR 2000 wireless router?

You may or may not remember me asking about setting up peer to peer (ad hoc) network on my dell laptop (vista) to be able to talk to my new purchase Epson printer.

Well, still not been able to do that and don't know why.

As a workaround, I got a Netgear wireless N router, model WNR 2000.

I went through the set up, reasonably striaght forward as it guides you pictorially where to insert each numbered cable and so on.

All is fine and dandy until it comes to plugging the router into the modem for the internet. I have no modem hence I cannot proceed any further with the set up.

Anyways, I turn on the router and both my laptop and printer can see the network, unsecured, as "NETGEAR".

I connect both to the network so am able to print wirelessly thus achieving what I wanted to do.

.... but how do I rename my network as well as securing it i.e. assigning a password to it??

There is only one set up in the installation menu for the router and it does not allow me to get beyond the modem cable insertion point GGGRRRRR..............

[Edited on 21/1/10 by 02GF74]

l0rd

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
what is your internet connection?
RickRick

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
when you say there's only one setup option for the router, is that when you run the cd or when you access the router by it's ip address
l0rd

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you login on the router as an admin and sort out your wireless connection password?
02GF74

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have no interenet.

Yes, set is is via CD.

I had the quickest of looks, and to set up router stuff requires loging in to some netgrear website and doing stuff there ..... which of course I cannot do.

Hmmm, seems like a router was not the correct piece of kit to buy..... but if I can use a freind's modem->internet, I shodlk be able to set up the router and then use in my house?

l0rd

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I have no interenet.

Yes, set is is via CD.

I had the quickest of looks, and to set up router stuff requires loging in to some netgrear website and doing stuff there ..... which of course I cannot do.

Hmmm, seems like a router was not the correct piece of kit to buy..... but if I can use a freind's modem->internet, I shodlk be able to set up the router and then use in my house?

I believe that this is the router's configuration page. It is made like a website so it is easier to configure.

Try to do this

vinny1275

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
For Netgear kit, open a web browser, type: http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar - you should get a username and password prompt. Use admin as the username and password as the password (if these don't work, look for a sticker on the router or packaging with the default password).

In this site you can change the name of the wireless connection and improving the security. Change the admin password to something else as well!

HTH

Vince

02GF74

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd

I believe that this is the router's configuration page. It is made like a website so it is easier to configure.

Try to do this

I'm confused - you are saying the interface to configure the router is made to look like web pages, so does not need connection to internet?

Guess I need to play around some more. You'd think I was asking the world to stop spinning!!?>!?!?!?

miikae

posted on 21/1/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have to type in http://192.168.0.1 to get access to my Netgear router comfig set up pages.

Mike

[Edited on 21-1-2010 by miikae]

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
l0rd

posted on 21/1/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd

Try to do this

I'm confused - you are saying the interface to configure the router is made to look like web pages, so does not need connection to internet?

Guess I need to play around some more. You'd think I was asking the world to stop spinning!!?>!?!?!?

Exactlly!!

02GF74

posted on 21/1/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miikae
I have to type in http://192.168.0.1 to get access to my Netgear router comfig set up pages.

Mike

Spot on Mike.

so WTF doesn't thje manual tell ya about this instead of using some stupid set up that cannot be copleted.

anyway, network renamed and secured.

thanks muchly to all who helped.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.