Any MG BGT Experts is this knacked

Sitting without a project car at the moment,
This MG has come up at a good price.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fat_trout/sets/72157623356301118/

Do the sills look past it?
General thoughts about the car?

paulf

posted on 5/2/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Unless the sills have been replaced recently it is best to assume that they are in need of replacement.Unfortunately it is a big job as usually the castle sections and inner wing boxes are also in need of repair.
I bought a 1970 car in 1982 and the sills had already been patched, a year latter I had to replace all the sills , sections of the floor inner wing sections etc .You also have to cut a good sized section out of the rear wings to fit them.
I still have the car now in need of a good home but it has stood for 10 years and now needs re shelling.
Paul.

mikeb

posted on 5/2/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
mm, thats what I thought, I had a roadster that needed a lot of work, I gave up before I started!
I can weld but castle section etc just look like a very timely painful job.

mookaloid

posted on 5/2/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
looks like it's been standing for some time.

It's definitely a project - it's had sills in the past - they might be ok at the moment - hard to tell with all that surface rust only real way is to tap them and see if they give way.

i would expect a fair bit of work though to get it roadworthy - brakes etc

There might be loads of filler in the body but it doesn't look too bad from the photos.

If it was me I'd value it in the hundreds but I'm a bit mean that way

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

GMPMotorsport

posted on 5/2/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Really does depend on what you can get it for, to me it looks like a great project. doesn't look that bad, have seen and owned worse!

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Phil.J

posted on 5/2/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a new MGB-GT back in the early seventies. It arrived with rust on it from new, and despite my careful care I watched it deteriorate over the next 3 years until I PX-ed it for a Lotus Europa.
I can only describe it as total crap, and the worst handling car I've ever owned. Just don't go there, you'll be so disappointed.

r1_pete

posted on 5/2/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Its been bodged up at some time for MOT, there are plates welded in all over, for example this box section looking bit should not be there, it should be a contoured castle section.

Assume the turret section under the wings are shot, there are 7 peices to each sill, they are deffo shot, looks like there is rot in the inner arches, expect the back spring shackle points to be shot, the boot and passenger floors.

Take a look in my archive for one being rebuilt properly. Rescued attachment BGT.jpg
Rescued attachment BGT.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve G

posted on 5/2/10 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Look at it and price it up as a donor to go on a new Heritage shell and go from there i'd say before starting.

With the roofed version i wouldnt be too concerned as to the state of the sills - i'd be replacing them as a matter of course regardless. Plenty of websites can tell you the other areas to look - looks not too bad at all to me though.

Stick a V8 in it anyway - lovely!!!

Humbug

posted on 5/2/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Its been bodged up at some time for MOT, there are plates welded in all over, for example this box section looking bit should not be there, it should be a contoured castle section.

Assume the turret section under the wings are shot, there are 7 peices to each sill, they are deffo shot, looks like there is rot in the inner arches, expect the back spring shackle points to be shot, the boot and passenger floors.

Take a look in my archive for one being rebuilt properly.

Is yours a B with a C bonnet, or a C?

Looks v nice, btw

[Edited on 05.02.2010 by Humbug]

r1_pete

posted on 5/2/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just a C Bonnet on a B, sold now as I was too tall to drive it comfortably, do I look through or over the screen....

snapper

posted on 6/2/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Before i got in to Kit Cars I had a rubber bumber BGT that i started to restore and even with the help of some experts I gave up.
The more i removed the more i needed to replace ended up needing both inner and outer sills, both footwell boxes and they go eitherside of the A pillar, both inner and outer front wings, some floor areas.
The cost became more than the cars worth (20 years ago) and i sold it on with a pile of new bits for half what i paid for it.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

delboy

posted on 6/2/10 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Regardless of the apparent condition of the castle rail and outer sill, it will probably have failed in the diaphram sill which sits between the outer sill and inner sill/door step given the amount of surface rust showing . It has probably been bodged as has been prviously said.

[Edited on 6/2/10 by delboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.