Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another ebay question....
prawnabie

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Another ebay question....

Hi Guys need some advice

I sold a pc case on ebay a couple of weeks ago that I packaged up so the buyer could arrange a courier. The day after collection I got a snotty email from the buyer saying the case had been damaged in transit and was my fault for not packaging it properly so he opened a dispute.

I immediately offered a full refund of his buying price and the shipping charges he paid to collect it and to send it back to me. He calmed down and said he was going to claim through DHL as he wanted to keep the case and repair it. This made me think I was being scammed and perhaps the damage wasn't as bad as the was telling me.

Its been a week or so now so to but it to bed I have offered him a full refund of all shipping fees and the item itself as long as he gives photos of damage.

I have just had an email back with some iffy shots of it but it is damaged so I log into paypal and try to refund the dispute..... only to find he has today upped it to a claim.

Now I can't refund him the money as the hold on the funds has put me into minus. The only way I close the case down is the option to demand the return of the item and refund him when I get the item back.

Its racked me off that I have offered a refund twice and now he goes and claims against me!

Do you think I am justified in asking for the item back now as that is the only way paypal will let me refund him without transferring funds to my account which takes 7-9 days.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Damn right you should get the item back - see the so called damage etc!! This sounds like another case of someone wanting to not pay for the item by getting a refund - abusing the fact that Ebay are so biased against sellers!!!

"If you've received an item and want a full refund, you'll usually need to send the item back to the seller. Buyers are responsible for paying return postage unless the buyer and seller have reached a different agreement. In unusual circumstances, eBay may pay return postage."

from here

[Edited on 5/4/10 by Paul TigerB6]

sonic

posted on 5/4/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I wish you the best of luck with this and Paypal mate.

I have closed my Paypal account now and only send Cheque if i buy anything.
Paypal and Ebay are an absolute nightmare to deal with.
I and just about everybody i know have had problems selling things and all of them will not use Paypal anymore.

I predict you will be still sorting this one month from now and still got no further other than bad feedback left by the Tosser scamming you

Good luck

skinned knuckles

posted on 5/4/10 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
I wish you the best of luck with this and Paypal mate.

I have closed my Paypal account now and only send Cheque if i buy anything.
Paypal and Ebay are an absolute nightmare to deal with.
I and just about everybody i know have had problems selling things and all of them will not use Paypal anymore.

I predict you will be still sorting this one month from now and still got no further other than bad feedback left by the Tosser scamming you

Good luck

although i've heard loads of bad things about ebay and paypal, i have to say the process has been fine for me. i have sold close to 100 items and bought almost double that. i have not had a single dispute as either the seller or the buyer and will contine to use them until i do.

for many people Ebay has been a lifeline and although the system may suck at times and some people may try to exploit the rules that have been set up to protect buyers from rogue sellers. it still provides an excellent service (imho). i would be lost without it.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

prawnabie

posted on 5/4/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I emailed him basically saying he will have to wait for the claim to end before he can get his money back and he has cancelled the claim. Am I right in thinking he cannot reinstate the claim now?

I light of the "damage" in the photos and the fact that he said the day he received it that it was scrap, I have offered him a part refund of £15 and he can keep the case and a full refund if he returns it back to me.

He now claims it he needs to repaint the case etc and wants more money. I know im gonna get -ve feedback for the transaction so I think im gonna cut my losses and stick with the £15 offer. Even if he sends it back which I don't think he wants to do I think it will be in bits when I get it so im better off giving him the £15.

Thanks

Shaun

prawnabie

posted on 5/4/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I emailed him basically saying he will have to wait for the claim to end before he can get his money back and he has cancelled the claim. Am I right in thinking he cannot reinstate the claim now?

I light of the "damage" in the photos and the fact that he said the day he received it that it was scrap, I have offered him a part refund of £15 and he can keep the case and a full refund if he returns it back to me.

He now claims it he needs to repaint the case etc and wants more money. I know im gonna get -ve feedback for the transaction so I think im gonna cut my losses and stick with the £15 offer. Even if he sends it back which I don't think he wants to do I think it will be in bits when I get it so im better off giving him the £15.

Thanks

Shaun

Simon

posted on 6/4/10 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
If I sell or buy anything, it's cash on collection - you wanna dispute anything you do it to my face not to some anonymous computer.

Have used paypal to pay for stuff but certainly would never accept.

ATB

Simon

Jon Ison

posted on 6/4/10 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Now its a paypal claim paypal will have you have said put a "hold" on the funds.

This can only go 3 ways now.......

1) He closes the case, you cant.

2) He will have to return the item to you at his cost by a online traceable method, once paypal have proof you have received it they will refund him.

3) If he does neither of the above after 30 days paypal will release the money back to your account.

By opening a paypal dispute its now firmly in his and paypals hands, nothing you can do.

prawnabie

posted on 6/4/10 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Jon he has closed the claim down so I can refund him the money without having to transfer the money from my bank to bring my paypal balance back to zero.

I have sent him an email saying I have looked at his photos of the damage and the case is not "scrap" as he was saying. In light of this and the fact that he has now closed the paypal claim he has 2 options. Either accept a goodwill gesture or £15 off me and he keeps the case or return it to me and I will refund him the whole amount.

I hope he doesn't return the case as I can see it getting smashed up beyond use before he sends it lol

Jon Ison

posted on 6/4/10 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, must read properly, what I would do then is word a email somehow that your £15 goodwill gesture will follow upon receipt of feedback to concluded the transaction ?

eta, also put in your email you will start the feedback process by leaving positive, then go onto leave it, you may as well you cant do any other anyhow.

[Edited on 6/4/10 by Jon Ison]

stonefish1

posted on 10/4/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would demand it back and refund him.. dont give him any money to compansate him.. it was unlucky that it broke,, one of them things.. He doesnt seem like a nice person so wish him well with his new bidding on a other item like it... My girlfriend is a power seller and she would want it back and refund him.... might see you out and about..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.