Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prop bolts???
Rob E

posted on 16/10/10 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Prop bolts???

Hi all

Just been fitting the prop to an MT75 and the bolts dont seem long enough, They dont come right through they are only on about 7mm of thread in the gear box , my question is are these bolts of a special strength to with stand the stresses and where do i get some longer ones from ???

Cheers Rob

Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/10/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes they are a high grade of steel - not your normal 8.8 grade. Best bet for them is generally direct from a local Ford Main Dealer to be honest - they are usually cheap enough and come ready loctite'd
neo2

posted on 16/10/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi yes they are minimum of 12.9 grade i useed this guy for mine M10 x 30mm super fine, heres the link..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M10-x-30-SUPER-FINE-PITCH-1mm-ALLEN-CAP-12-9-BOLTS-4PCS-/350278649629?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item518e3c071d

Rob E

posted on 16/10/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies but it seems i need at least 55mm in length this is to go through the prop then donut then in to the thread on the box, how have you managed to use 30mm????
RichardK

posted on 16/10/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
My prop shaft doesn't use the donut anymore, dunning and fairbank made me a new prop without one on, just 2 uj's flanged on one end and internal splines on the other. I am using a type 9 and sierra diff if that makes any difference.

Glad they did as I dont think I'd get the donut down the tunnel?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
neo2

posted on 16/10/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
The bolts i needed were for propshaft to diff flange bolts std ones were 25mm i needed 30mm, no donut on mine ethier
Rob E

posted on 17/10/10 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yer mine is the same at the diff end but it was the box end I was talking about , can't see how i would need new bolts as its the same set up as the sierra ????
adithorp

posted on 18/10/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
Thanks for the replies but it seems i need at least 55mm in length this is to go through the prop then donut then in to the thread on the box, how have you managed to use 30mm????

If you're using the donut, doesn't it have six holes in it? They normally do. Three bolts go through the donut into the tripod on the gearbox and three more go through the other three holes in the donut and the tripod on the end of the prop'.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Rob E

posted on 19/10/10 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by Rob E

If you're using the donut, doesn't it have six holes in it? They normally do. Three bolts go through the donut into the tripod on the gearbox and three more go through the other three holes in the donut and the tripod on the end of the prop'.

Yer on a normal car that is right but on mine i have a round plate on both ends, diff end 4 holes (good ) box end 6 holes ,so i have to go straight through the prop through the donut into the box ???? instead of the usual way don't figure , ah well sorted now so thanks for all the help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.