Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lambda and gauge.... is it this easy?
Major Stare

posted on 30/12/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Lambda and gauge.... is it this easy?

I am after a Lambda sensor and gauge (to check lean/rich).

I have seen Lambda sensors on eBay for £10.00 and gauges for £18.00.

Can i use any Lambda sensor to a gauge?

Jon "FISH"

loggyboy

posted on 30/12/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Think you need a wideband sensor for that application (ie not just telling the ecu the basic info it needs.)
matt_gsxr

posted on 30/12/10 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly not that simple

You need a wideband sensor (about £45), and also a controller (JAW, LC-1, or something like that), and a gauge.
LC-1 including sensor can be bought for around £150.

You might be able to do something cheaply with a narrowband sensor (i.e. >14.7 or < 14.7) but I don't know anything about how you would wire up one of those, and really it isn't what you want.

Matt

RazMan

posted on 31/12/10 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, the keyword here is WIDEBAND. A cheap narrowband will not give you any kind of control as it is more like an on/off switch. The LC-1 is probably the best one to go for and only takes a couple of hours to install it properly, making sure that all the earths, powers and signals are connected to the most suitable points as they are VERY sensitive to noise on their circuits.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 31/12/10 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Narrow band sensors are very simple to wire up. they are quite useful when installing older style LPG system to give a warning of too lean a mixture.
The output is a voltage that " switches " between about 0.2 and 0.8v they either read lean or rich very rarely anywhere in the middle.

[Edited on 31/12/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

whitestu

posted on 31/12/10 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I built a JAW - at the time it cost about £110 for the wideband senson, controller and display.

Have a look at this:

Link to video

I think the LC1 controllers are a bit neater though. This allowed me to set my bike carbs up quite easily without a rolling road.

Stu

Strontium Dog

posted on 31/12/10 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I use these

http://www.vems.co.uk/VEMSWB/UserGuide/README.html

More versatile than LC1 with more facilities inc. EGT on the same 50mm gauge. EGT is vital when setting up an engine so you need that too if you are going to map your own engine.

The unit can feed a narrow band signal out to the ecu which can be fudged to alter the cruise fueling of stock ecu's to get more economy. With closed loop lambda control, it is only working at partial throttle settings and at WOT you will be on map. At least with an ecu anyway, obviously there is no closed loop control with carbs!

coyoteboy

posted on 7/1/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Never felt the need for EGT on the 'Four SD

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.