Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MGB GT 1968 Tax Exempt £2000 SWAP Kitcar?
montythemole

posted on 17/2/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
MGB GT 1968 Tax Exempt £2000 SWAP Kitcar?

Since the last thread turned into an two page arguement on the state of MG values, and I couldn't edit the original post for some reason, I thought I'd start a new one!

Main update from last time is now MOT'd, headlining done, and car is looking very good. Almost too nice to sell!

Model: MGB GT
Variant: 1.8 4 speed manual
Year: 1968
Mileage: Speedo reads 16k, so expect is 116k
Tax: Until end of June 2011 (Exempt)
MOT: 12 months as of 4th Feb 2010
Price: £2000 or swap

Sadly I think it's time to sell the MG. I just don't drive it enough. Probably driven it 5 times in nearly 2 years!

It's an early MGB GT, with the chrome bumpers and with the original steel wheels rather than wires or minilites like all the others! Also has the early interior with the stereo in the dash rather than the centre console.

I bought this from a mate who had it laid up in his workshop for years having bought it from someone who had spent a lot of time and money restoring it. Sadly a bad hip and pressures of running a business meant he seldom used it.

I've had it about 2 years, checked it over and put through it's first MOT in a few years which it passed without even an advisory. MOT this time needed headlight adjustment (new units) and 50p small dab of weld underneath. MOT man remarked how solid it was otherwise.
Comes with full 12 month MOT.

The restorer spent a lot of time and money on the car and it is in very good order. Sadly all history is lost so other than what I can gather from looking at it and the MOT I have no history.

Engine - 1.8 engine in very good cosmetic order, looks like it's been rebuilt and starts easily and runs great. It's got the early 4 speed non overdrive gearbox. There may be a slight blow from the manifold, only noted today so not had chance to look at yet.

Bodywork - GT coupe in that orangey colour they do. It's had a full respray of fairly good quality in the past. There is the odd stone chip, a rust spot on the roof and the rear qtr seams show signs of bubbling and bottom edge of boot is crusty when you open it but otherwise good. It's good enough to polish up and take to shows and gets lots of praise, not get any worse since I've had it as lives in the garage, I'm just being fussy.

Interior - Good generally. The seats have lovely patina red leather but the drivers has split so previous owner fitted a full set of black leather (or leather look not sure) covers. If I could have found a decent matching front seat I would have removed the covers. Photo of the the seat shown.
Head lining has just been replaced.
Has original magnetic fixed belts in front and a single inertia reel in back for kids seat (managed to fit my 1 years old in car seat in back, now have two kids!).

Stereo - Fitted with a retro style MP3 SD/USB head unit running through two small speakers installed in the centre speaker mount. Aerial is run under the dash to avoid having it ruin the lines of the car.

Dash - all dials work with exception of rev counter. It was reading 2x the actual rpm so I disconnected and fitted an auxiliary small tacho as shown until I found a working example of the original.

Mods - Since owning it I've tried to sympathetically update the car:
Battery isolator switch behind drivers seat
Changed to single 12v from two 6v batteries
Fitted Porsche style retro mirrors
Removed front and rear overriders (rear plate now illuminated with light up number plate bolts).
Replaced corroded front bumper with good example (rear is a little pitted and could do with swapping but is presentable)
Stereo upgrade as stated
Small tacho as stated
New hoses throughout engine bay
Flushed and filled coolant
Greased kingpins
Replaced front sealed beams for modern style replaceable bulb units.

Good points -
nice original chrome bumpered classic with only minor surface rust in places
tax exempt
cheap classic insurance - I pay just over £100
evidence of engine rebuild
starts great even when laid up for months
nice interior

Bad points -
minor rust on rear qtr seam and on bottom of boot when opened
no history
odd chip as you would expect for the age

Offered for sale or may swap for something interesting, really got the track day bug so after a Locost style car/project or similar, maybe an MX5 or an interesting kit car (GTM Rossa etc), or anything suited to track days.

Engine:

New Headlining:

Interior:

Original red leather visible under covers:

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

DarrenW

posted on 17/2/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the sale. That looks like a fantastic and very useable classic for the money.

scootz

posted on 17/2/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
^^^Wot He Said^^^

It's Evolution Baby!

montythemole

posted on 17/2/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Good luck with the sale. That looks like a fantastic and very useable classic for the money.

Why thanks. Wanna buy it?!

montythemole

posted on 17/3/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sold! Or will be on Sunday.

MK9R

posted on 22/3/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
did this sell, i may be interested in a swap

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
montythemole

posted on 23/3/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't sell but in the end swapped for a unregistered Tiger CAT that I'm either selling or going to IVA, not sure which!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.