Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: blacktop zetec 2.0
mrwibble

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
blacktop zetec 2.0

looking for the impossible i guess. but lowest mileage, sound history of oil changes, no ancillaries required but would be considered. happy for a post 95 engine as plans for a cat/inj. oh yeah and i've only got a tin top focus to collect it, so if you wouldn't mind dropping it round? no kidding, i reckon it'd fit in the boot... oh yeah and i want it all for £50. no right money for the right engine.

[Edited on 16/3/11 by mrwibble]

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/3/11 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
If it was me I'd be round the local scrap yards for crash damaged fords. Couple of friends and you can lift an engine out easy. You can tell a good engine simply by looking in the oil cap to see if there is any brown crud or varnish which shouldn't be there if it's had regular oil changes. If the water bottle is not full of brown water or oil then the head should be fine too.

buy a manual and find out first where the black box is and how much of the wiring you'll need, assuming that you'll be running the standard injection/ignition system

[Edited on 17/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 17/3/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Mileage makes no difference on a zetec, they are well built and last real well.

As Mr. Whippy siad, take the oil filler cap off and look inside, it should look like new, no crud or anything on the cap or the cam lobe there.

For a road going car, no rebuild cost, no need to even lift the head. They come along cheap enough second hand to be throw away and brand news from Ford are cheap as well.

I'll chance me arm and say there's bound to a brand new one on other at Stoneleigh this year.

They are cheap as chips, I've just missed one on the bay for £140 that included everything from under the bonnet, gearbox, wiring key, the lot. I let it go as I thought it was too much!

I've paid a couple hundred, tenners, picked them up free and swapped them around for bits and bobs.

Good luck!
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mrwibble

posted on 17/3/11 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the advice guys, i've an omex ecu and am thinking of going the motorbike tbs route. so i had in mind i'd just need the head and block, the starter for a type 9 is something i've got to source i believe, i'm not sure about the alt.
rhinopower

posted on 18/3/11 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have to be a blacktop? I've got a silvertop in my garage ready to go
dhutch

posted on 5/5/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rhinopower
Does it have to be a blacktop? I've got a silvertop in my garage ready to go

The old silvertop/blacktop debate!

Need to sit down and buy myself one infact, i feel a project for the winter coming, although i should really not!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.