Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Grab your ebay bargains whilst you can. Ebay FVF increases
Jon Ison

posted on 16/3/11 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Grab your ebay bargains whilst you can. Ebay FVF increases

Before the new fee's come into place...........

Some sellers are reporting as much as 800% increase in FVF on some items, some of ours see over an 100% increase.

Want to see ebays opening line on there email ?

"From May 2011, we are simplifying the final value fee structure, making our pricing more transparent. We are also lowering some insertion fees meaning you can list more. Fees will decrease overall for many sellers, but may increase for some."

translated it means somthing like bend over

They got the last paragraph completely wrong, it should read Fees may decrease overall for very few sellers, but WILL increase for 99.9%.

Then they remove most of the discounts offered ??

In May, the fee discount currently given to Above Standard PowerSeller will be retired. Only eBay Top-rated sellers who offer the best service continue to get up to 30% discount on final value fees.

And finally I thought I would share this snippet with you posted on an ebay forum.........

There are a few percentages being mentioned here so I thought I'd do a few figures on the final value fees.

In auctions 23 levels are shown. 2 have reductions. One is a reduction of 43%, the other is a reduction of 8%. 4 levels see no change. 17 levels have increases, with the largest increase being 800% on £600+ clothing which goes from 1.5% to 12 %. 9 levels see increases ranging from double, to treble, and beyond. Fixed price looks like it has identical increases.

The largest reduction in fees is about 43% in the Tech category up to £29.99. At all other price levels there is an increase or no change.

The largest increase is in the over £600 clothing level at a staggering 800% increase.

I put eBay's statement "Fees will decrease overall for many sellers, but may increase for some" into google translate. Here it is translated into English: "Fees will increase massively for most sellers, but may decrease for some."

If you want to try it for yourself, copy the text into google translate. Select "eBayspeak" as the language you are translating from and select "English" as the language you are translating to.

There is a footnote that says "this translation is affected by the English custom of understatement." If you translate it into Serbo-Croat it says. "They're screwing you."

r1_pete

posted on 17/3/11 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I also read on an E Type forum I frequent they are starting to charge fees on postage prices in the States, so thats probably the next thing they'll hit us with here.

Here's the post:

I just received a notice from eBait the they are going to start charging their
fees on SHIPPING costs. The rationale for paying eBait a fee on shipping costs
seems rather thin, but I guess that if you are going to play their game on their
field you have to follow their rules. Frankly, this doesn't surprise me very
much as they have gotten more and more involved in the shipping end of the
business. My best guess is that it won't be too long before they start requiring
the all items be shipped through them. God, I wish they had a good competitor.
Between eBaits fees and PayPals fees the cost of selling on eBait is getting
prohibitive.

[Edited on 17/3/11 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabs

posted on 17/3/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Your missed the other increases :-

Changes to auction-style with Buy it now

If you create an auction-style listing with Buy it now, you must have a 40% difference between the Buy it now price and the auction-style start price. For example, if you list an item in auction with a start price of £10, you'll not be able to put a Buy it now price lower than £14.

Fees for this option will increase in May.

Changes to the Reserve option
If you choose to use the Reserve option, your fee will increase from 2% to 3% of the Reserve price.

deezee

posted on 17/3/11 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
You could always use another means of selling, or sort out your own business web site, separate to Ebay. If you don't like it, don't use the site.

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/3/11 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I really hope ebay implodes
I find their attitude horrifying, and as they have no competition worth speaking of, it comes over as being extremely unfair.

It will only take somebody with a few quid and a some business nouse to bring them down. And then maybe the newbie will make a fortune, and ebay shares will be worthless. It has happened before, and will happen again. Just look at the social networking sites, bebe, myspace. All blown away. Doesn't take much.

Somebody, pleeeeeese

MikeRJ

posted on 17/3/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
You could always use another means of selling, or sort out your own business web site, separate to Ebay. If you don't like it, don't use the site.

So you are quite happy to see an effective monopoly screw their customers?

Jon Ison

posted on 17/3/11 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Already have a busy website and plenty of walk in custom thanks, what will happen for sure though is after May anything that we would normally sell for over £50 will not be listed on eBay as to cover the hike in fee's the cost price to the buyer would be prohibitive hence save the listing fee's and dont bother the outcome been the once to be had discounted bargains on eBay will disappear.

google will find them though.

tony-devon

posted on 17/3/11 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I got sick of it years ago when I was running my own business online, created my own website, with online shop etc, but would list an item on ebay with 1p start no reserve etc etc total bargain to look at, with either my web adress in the photo, or in the description etc

saved a fortune, and once people had found me, that was it.

introducing fees on the postage isnt a totally bad idea, my mates daughter got stung, bought a games console from abroad, was £5 or so with £200 postage, still a bargain apparantly, but the seller avoiding the fee's

however when there was problems, she only got the £5 refunded, not the price of the carriage!

maybe now they will list things properly and people wont get stung

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
montythemole

posted on 17/3/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
The problem with hoping some competitor starts up is that they're already out there (ebid etc) but since no-one shops on them, no-one lists on them. It would take a massive swell of opinion to move across.

It's not like myspace where people got bored and it was geeky, and then facebook came along and even your granny could use it.

ebay works. It's pricey but you generally get a better rate. Plus for cars most times I've gone viewed and made a cash offer, so sold outside of auction saving the seller the fees,

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

deezee

posted on 17/3/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJSo you are quite happy to see an effective monopoly screw their customers?

To be honest the cost of someone running their business doesn't really worry me. I don't loose sleep over an increase in local council tax and workshop rates for a business in Swindon, so why should I be too bothered about how much it costs a business to run through Ebay?

stevegough

posted on 17/3/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
In this country, we have the monopolies commission and trading standards to stop this sort of thing....thats why ebay is based in Luxembourg.

Ebay's policies and fees are nothing short of criminal.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

MK9R

posted on 17/3/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I dont agree with the fees, they are so high, especially when coupled with paypal fees. I started my dads online business through ebay, and was good way of starting up, but as volumes increased the fees became a massive problem and their attitude stank, so ended up building new website and using google adwords as the advertising medium and taking on a card merchant account. This has working brilliantly and is a fraction of the cost, but my dads business is so niche its easy to get good google coverage without spending too much money, where as if you wanted to sell some in a very competitive market (e.e. sex toys ) it becomes very very expensive to advertise. This is where ebay is probably still cheaper and a good alternative

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

FASTdan

posted on 17/3/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony-devon
I got sick of it years ago when I was running my own business online, created my own website, with online shop etc, but would list an item on ebay with 1p start no reserve etc etc total bargain to look at, with either my web adress in the photo, or in the description etc

saved a fortune, and once people had found me, that was it.

I thought there were rules in place to prevent being able to do this? I didnt think you were allowed to put any external links in? I have avoided doing that for this reason to date, only putting text along the lines of 'visit our website for more products' etc......

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeRJ

posted on 17/3/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJSo you are quite happy to see an effective monopoly screw their customers?

To be honest the cost of someone running their business doesn't really worry me. I don't loose sleep over an increase in local council tax and workshop rates for a business in Swindon, so why should I be too bothered about how much it costs a business to run through Ebay?

You don't have to run a business through eBay to be affected by this.

FASTdan

posted on 17/3/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
so ended up building new website and using google adwords as the advertising medium and taking on a card merchant account. This has working brilliantly and is a fraction of the cost, but my dads business is so niche its easy to get good google coverage without spending too much money,

Excuse my ignorance, im trying to quickly get up to speed with this sort of thing for my own site. What are google adwords?

I have read a brief amount on the old 'keyword' stuff and how google doesnt use keywords. I was therefore under the impression that google just trawls text content of the site. As I say, I'm a complete novice to all this, have been meaning to look at googles search engine optimisation tool.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
matt_claydon

posted on 17/3/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
You pay Google for your ad to appear at the top/side of the page when people search for your chosen keywords.

http://adwords.google.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.