Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto or Zetec or something else
banditkd

posted on 6/9/02 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto or Zetec or something else

Right this is my first post so i'll try something easy.

I'm currently thinking about getting an MK Indy kit (as they are only just up the road) and was wondering what type of engine to go for. As i'm not that mechanically minded (bikes = yes: cars = no) i'm wondering which type of engine to go for. My problem is this, do i go for the tried and tested pinto route and hope to find a good engine or do i try for a newer zetec/something else which will need some work to convert it from a FWD to a RWD. Any advice is appreciated. I'm sure i'll be back with loads more questions before i finally pluck up the courage to start one. Many Thank

banditkd@hotmail.com

zetec

posted on 6/9/02 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
From what I found...Pinto cost is from free with donor car to less than £100 from breakers. You might think about getting the sump modified to give a bit more ground clearence, poss set of Webers and some tuning. I got a quote from Burton tuning for about £2300 for 150 HP ready to fit. Zetec costs about £350-500, will again need new sump and some other parts to get it to work on RWD car. If you fit Webers and a aftermarket ecu you get about 165 hp standard head/cams, with head /cams 195-200HP. Pinto wins on cost for lower HP ratings, Zetec wins on power in higher state of tune, and from what I heard is more reliable and revs better due to it more modern design. Other options Vauxhall, Toyota or bike...the list goes on but worth checking out each before deciding as some have hidden costs!
Macca

posted on 6/9/02 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you know your bikes why not go that route?
Col.

banditkd

posted on 6/9/02 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
i thought i'd go for car based one for my first as it might be a bit easier

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.