Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: water/methanol injection, supercharger
NS Dev

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
water/methanol injection, supercharger

I am planning a new autograss car and thinking through various elements at the moment, one of which is the chargecooling.

I will be using an Eaton m90 type supercharger on a 2.0 16v vauxhall engine (yes I know its a bit big but that's not the question here!)

I really don't want to run an intercooler or chargecooler, as airflow is at a premium!

I plan to use water-methanol injection, but the question is, can I inject in two places, before the blower and into the plenum. Keeping the blower cool would seem a good idea, anybody got any suggestions?

cheers

Nat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Antnicuk

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
lots of people run water injection in the mouth of the turbo in the rotary world. I have always used water although i dont run that much boost so i only run 1 injector at the throttle body. As far as i know there are no issues with running it at the inlet on a turbo so i see no reason why you couldnt run it at the entry to the supercharger. Its beneficial as the turbine blades help mix the water vapor and the air. Not sure if your type of supercharge would do the same.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

Davegtst

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I used to use it to great effect on a Skyline, i only had one atomiser jet that i fitted in front of the throttle. I read up quite alot about water injection and most people said not to inject it before a turbo because it can errode the compressor blades. Can't see it being a problem on an eaton blower though.
beaver34

posted on 25/7/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
As regards this is there any pages with info how it works and what kit you need etc ...... Water injection that is
Volvorsport

posted on 25/7/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
good article on retro ford by the way ......

dont suppose you have any ascona shells lying about ? anything retro to fit a 5 cylinder ?

off topic i know ....

are you sue you can get the cooling required for the boost your running ?

temp in/temp out laws of thermodynamics , is it worth injecting before the blower when it should be ambient anyway .

also its a diminishing return , too much water and youll loose power too

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

MikeR

posted on 25/7/11 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I appreciate its not what you're thinkings but have you considered nitros?

Its easier & you've got the experience. You could be racing sooner.

westy turbo

posted on 26/7/11 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
Using dual nozzle on my inlet with great results and a cold inlet manifold
NS Dev

posted on 26/7/11 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
good article on retro ford by the way ......

dont suppose you have any ascona shells lying about ? anything retro to fit a 5 cylinder ?

off topic i know ....

are you sue you can get the cooling required for the boost your running ?

temp in/temp out laws of thermodynamics , is it worth injecting before the blower when it should be ambient anyway .

also its a diminishing return , too much water and youll loose power too

cheers!

Should be a lot more articles in retro cars mag and retro ford, done 3 photoshoots 3 weeks ago!

re. the topic....no I'm not at all sure! Having thought about it I agree I think there is little point injecting into the blower. My other concern is that injecting that early could result in steam before the intake valve, which would not help efficiency at all!

next question is.......can I inject through multi-hole fuel injectors?

see my other thread!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/7/11 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
According to the Graham Bell book on forced induction, the "roots style" superchargers benefit from injection before the supercharger as reduces losses from gas sneaking by the rotors.

If you use methanol then don't you need to worry about corroding all your alloy bits. Its pretty nasty stuff according to the above.

NS Dev

posted on 26/7/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
looking into the aquamist info they suggest propanol based screenwash works ok as well, so this might be a nicer option. Its only really there to break down the surface tension of water to help the "sprayability"

MikeR

posted on 26/7/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if they'll talk to you but i've been told RTech in Hinckley have experience of methanol injection.
NS Dev

posted on 26/7/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I appreciate its not what you're thinkings but have you considered nitros?

Its easier & you've got the experience. You could be racing sooner.

not allowed nitrous, and won't help detonation issues unfortunately.

NS Dev

posted on 26/7/11 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Not sure if they'll talk to you but i've been told RTech in Hinckley have experience of methanol injection.

that could be handy, as Tuney is mates with them!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.