Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear suspension - wishbone, diff and upright options
kitch

posted on 25/8/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Rear suspension - wishbone, diff and upright options

Hi all, I'm building a SuperCat chassis from scratch (I work at Southways) and it's going to be a bit of a one off. The normal Cats use a Sierra rear subframe assembly, but I want to fabricate my own rear own (hahaha) and include fully independant, double wishbones either side, so I'll be re-designing the back end completely.
I also need to decide what to do about diffs. With Sierra parts getting more thin on the ground, and the fact that I don't actually have any tie to Ford parts means I could look further afield to Freelanders (think the ratio may be no good for me) and BMW.

With the rear suspension, what common donor parts are used for things like rear uprights on home-build cars, and are there any wishbones that do the job nicely? I'm assuming they need to be quite compact. Worst case I'll make some from scratch, but I've seen all manner of donor parts on various cars we get in, so I'm open to opinions.
I've heard the Tiger Avon uses in-house independant rear suspension, does anyone know which uprights it uses? Or whether any companies fabricate their own types, like Rally Design do with their front uprights.

Obviously cost is a massive issue, just like it is for everyone else

Cheers

macc man

posted on 25/8/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of kit builders are turning to Mazda Mx5 as they are are cheap and plentiful. Possibly the wishbones may be of use to you.
Certainly worth investigating.

kitch

posted on 25/8/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the advice. I've found a build blog on a Tiger Avon.....looks more like the kinda of thing I was thinking. I'm happy to fabricate my own items aslong as I know what sort of design to go for. Might be worth investing in a pair of their rear hubs though and sticking with Sierra items. It'll still be a shedload lighter than a normal Cat because I won't have all the subframe and trailing arm weight to contend with.
mark chandler

posted on 25/8/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I made mine out of flat steel and a bit of tube, used rose joints on the bones.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.