Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil fed boilers - advice sought
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/1/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Oil fed boilers - advice sought

While we're on the subject of boilers at the moment on this forum - any advice for an oil boiler?

I've currently got a vintage Unidare Jetmatic (50-70KBtU), retrofitted at some more recent stage with a Sterling 40 burner. It works, i.e produces heat. However, its noisy, exhaust gases leak from the boiler and are drawn back in to the house from where it vents (I guess building regs. are good things). It lives in the garage, with all the pipework carrying water and oil buried in concrete.... weeping a tad. The garage floor needs re-laying (yes it's that bad), so there you go, ideal time this spring to think about a fresher boiler (outside?). Currently its a 'conventional' system, (fresh looking) hot water tank in roofspace.

My hot water requirements are not vast.... what's the best way forward, a combination boiler? or stick with the current tank system. Ideally, I'd like the thing outside, but that's mainly to clear the garage foor but also because the current system wants to kill me.

Any recommendations?

dinosaurjuice

posted on 16/1/12 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
have heard good things about the worcester combi oil boilers. Grand parents had one and it lasted 20+ years and was super efficient.

big-vee-twin

posted on 16/1/12 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would go for a Biomass boiler, take part in the renewable heat initiative and recieve 7.9 pence for every kilowatt of heat I create and have free heating for the next 25 years.

Wood pellets work out at around 4.5 pence per kilowatt.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Phil.J

posted on 17/1/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I looked into this last year and will be going for a Mistral boiler this spring. On an independent installers advice I will be going for a conventional boiler, not a condensing type. Oil fired boilers are not covered by the latest regs for gas boilers.
He tells me that the efficiency of the Mistral conventional boilers is within 2% of a condensing boiler, a lot less hassle to run and several hundred pounds cheaper to buy. A mate has a Mistral boiler and is very satisfied with it, and they are made locally too.(Telford)

v8kid

posted on 17/1/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Personally I would go for a Biomass boiler, take part in the renewable heat initiative and recieve 7.9 pence for every kilowatt of heat I create and have free heating for the next 25 years.

How do you get the subsidy? This would be an ideal system for me I have the land to collide trees buy can't work out how to get the subsidy.
Any pointers much appreciated

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 17/1/12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Having recently had a combi boiler fitted, I have come to the conclusion that they are crap! They are more efficient in gas use/recovering exhaust heat but what you save in gas you lose in the amount of water you waste waiting for it to get hot. It's crap for a shower as it doesn't maintain the temperature like a tank fed one. oh how I wish I had the old one back with the hot water tank. If you wqnt to wash your hands hen the heating circuit is fired up, you scald your hands.
So my next step is to fit a small hand wash unit in the kitchen and an electric shower.
My gas use is the same as it was before in spite of more insulation in the loft and having had the walls done.
Conclusion; combi boilers are green in the way that electric cars are. NOT

[Edited on 17/1/12 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

MkIndy7

posted on 17/1/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Having recently had a combi boiler fitted, I have come to the conclusion that they are crap! They are more efficient in gas use/recovering exhaust heat but what you save in gas you lose in the amount of water you waste waiting for it to get hot. It's crap for a shower as it doesn't maintain the temperature like a tank fed one. oh how I wish I had the old one back with the hot water tank. If you wqnt to wash your hands hen the heating circuit is fired up, you scald your hands.
So my next step is to fit a small hand wash unit in the kitchen and an electric shower.
My gas use is the same as it was before in spite of more insulation in the loft and having had the walls done.

I would have thought it might be easier to get a Unvented hot water cylinder fitted (can be placed anywhere and fed directly off the cold water main) and only use the 'heating' side of the combi then when the combi needs replacing you can replace it with a simple system boiler.

If they have the space and don't mind it costing initially that's what I'd advise most people to have, there also the backup option of immersion heaters in the cylinder aswell then.

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/1/12 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:

How do you get the subsidy? This would be an ideal system for me I have the land to collide trees buy can't work out how to get the subsidy.

The boiler you fit has to be MCS approved and so does the installer, the installer will sort out the certificates of registration then you recieve the tariff paid for by the government for 25 years look up the renewable heat initiative on google

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

v8kid

posted on 17/1/12 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:

The boiler you fit has to be MCS approved and so does the installer, the installer will sort out the certificates of registration then you recieve the tariff paid for by the government for 25 years look up the renewable heat initiative on google

It's a no-brainer! Pity the introduction is delayed until October but I suppose it gives loads of time to sort out paperwork

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 17/1/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.

I would have thought it might be easier to get a Unvented hot water cylinder fitted (can be placed anywhere and fed directly off the cold water main) and only use the 'heating' side of the combi then when the combi needs replacing you can replace it with a simple system boiler.

If they have the space and don't mind it costing initially that's what I'd advise most people to have, there also the backup option of immersion heaters in the cylinder aswell then.

I had an immersion tank as backup, but on the start of day two of the installation I was rushed into hospital with a suspected heart attack and the now unsupervised muppets removed this and all the piping, including the new feed piping that I had just put in for an electric shower.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.