Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Caliper braided hoses?
Gti6boy

posted on 9/2/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Rear Caliper braided hoses?

Having some trouble with my rear braided lines. They came with long straight connectors in to the Caliper but these were pulled super tight and looked quite dangerous.

I spent £30 on some new fittings which included banjo ends for the Caliper but no matter what I do I cannot get them to stop leaking.

I've now made some new lines with a short connector in to the Caliper but I can't get the hose away from the rim of the wheel?

What have you all used? And a pic would be great

Thanks

bob

posted on 9/2/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem with leaking banjos on rear sierra calipers.

The bolt was bottoming out, trick was to use a thicker copper washer, i did afterwards find out that different length bolts are available.

Try www.thinkauto.com for banjo bolts or washers.

Also if its sierra calipers the castings are very crude and you will have to do a bit of cleaning up for the washer to seat properly.

[Edited on 9/2/12 by bob]

bob

posted on 9/2/12 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Think automotive

Gti6boy

posted on 9/2/12 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I will try adding a washer and see what happens first as this is what I wanted to do first.

I have used think before but at the mo I have hi spec on my doorstep and I get very good discounts

Thanks

bob

posted on 9/2/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Probably worth puting the bolt in the caliper without the banjo, carefully feel where it bottoms out and measure gap and then the banjo to see if a thicker copper sealing washer will work. I think i made up a little over 2mm with a washer either side of the banjo.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/2/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mine leak on the VW calipers with banjos, i've got couple washers either side. Its the casting needs grinding back to give it a good seat. Another job to add to the list

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Gti6boy

posted on 9/2/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well you could not move my banjo when bolted down so there was defo not 2mm gap
Toprivetguns

posted on 9/2/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gti6boy
Having some trouble with my rear braided lines. They came with long straight connectors in to the Caliper but these were pulled super tight and looked quite dangerous.

I spent £30 on some new fittings which included banjo ends for the Caliper but no matter what I do I cannot get them to stop leaking.

I've now made some new lines with a short connector in to the Caliper but I can't get the hose away from the rim of the wheel?

What have you all used? And a pic would be great

Thanks

Evening,

I had the same problem as you which Ive now over come. Firstly I used a 45 degree banjo fitting with fairly thick copper washers. As previously mentioned the banjo bolt was bottoming out, hence I just filed away a few threads (make sure to wind a nut down first to protect the thread).

After all this it was still leaking and it was due to the mating face on the caliper not being complete flat. As kindly pointed out by another locoster the sierra caliper port is not machined flat, hence you will have to file or use emery paper to make it nice and smooth for a good seal with the copper washer. Any other questions, just ask.

Mine is completely sealed now.

Description
Description

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

bob

posted on 10/2/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Just a quick point to add, is the Indy R caliper fixing position different from the old original Indy ?

The reason i ask is that i had a problem when bleeding the brakes with airlocks, the only way i could remedy this was by unbolting the caliper and rolling it to 12 o-clock ( top of disc) and bleed it there.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.