Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Turbo Advise Please?
coozer

posted on 19/4/12 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Turbo Advise Please?

Should have done this years ago instead of spending £1k on injection to get an extra 12bhp..

Well, I've seen the light and am going down the zetec turbo route.

No half measures mind you, although I will be diying as much as possible.

Currently I have another ST170 engine, tubular exhaust manifold and big GT3076 turbo, all new and very cheap from the good old US of A.

Manifold needs some adjustment to position the turbo in the right spot and the other way round to in the picture, and, also, an external wastegate.

I'm well into a big inlet manifold using the engine side of the ST bit and a fabbed up plenum using the ST throttle body.

Got my eye on a RS500 intercooler which will live up front with the rad.

So, I need some advise on the motor. I want low comp forged pistons and some strong rods. Target compression ratio would be 8.0~1 but I read about (mainly on American websites) the fact that the ST170 (or ZV3 as they call it) can only have a 9.0~1 ratio.

Is the St bottom end the same as the backtop I know the pistons and rods are different but are the block dimensions the same? I can only assume the chamber shape in the head is different, but again, seeing as the compression ratio is only 0.1 different I'm a bit puzzled.

Target is 350bhp, although its the torque figure I'm more interested in.

Any turbo experts or builders who can shed some light here?

Ta,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

scutter

posted on 19/4/12 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I can't answer any of your questions, but as a ST170 powered Locost owner, That's just filth

I'll be reading with interest, as I've the making of the same idea here.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
beaver34

posted on 19/4/12 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
ive just turboed a 1600 zetec, space is an issue as i have found out!

intercooler on my car no way will you get a rs500 cooler in the front, the gt30 also is a big turbo for 350 bhp and that manifold only looks like its quite thin walled too

i cansend you some pics of how ive gone around stuff if you like might help

coozer

posted on 19/4/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
And I quite fancy these...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dlatch

posted on 19/4/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quite a few of the fwd boys on passion ford really pushing mega power from these turbo zetec's now
specs and parts used vary hugely though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BaileyPerformance

posted on 19/4/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Keep the compression high, we use 9.5/1 upto 300BHP ish

Low compression will make the engine laggy with poor MPG

What engine management are you using? we use megasquirt 2

Let me know if your require more info, we have done several zetec turbos

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
BaileyPerformance

posted on 19/4/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
.....i'd also use a blacktop, not an ST170, you do not want the VVT, ST170 engine make good money, you could by a blacktop and have change.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 20/4/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I got the ST for blacktop money but is the bottom end the same?

I've looked into some JE piston with Eagle rods that bring the compo down to 9-1

I have an Omex 600 installed for the changeover.

I was hoping to lock the inlet cam and use the head as its got nice big ports and bigger valves. Is this OK?

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

djtom

posted on 20/4/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Please don't tell me that you were the one who outbid me by £2 and won that ST170 lump for £202 on ebay a couple of weeks ago - I'm still bitter about that!

8.0:1 CR should be fine - yes you'll gain a bit of off-boost response by raising the CR but I'm running 8.0:1 at the moment and response is just fine - it's actually quite nice as off-boost it'll happily pootle around town in traffic without feeling like its straining at the leash all the time. Get the revs over 3500 however, and all hell breaks loose. It also gives you a bit more leeway when mapping as it'll allow more ignition timing as it will have a higher det threshold than at a higher CR.

Tom

whitestu

posted on 20/4/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Normal Zetec, then st170 then injection then turbo!

Some people are never happy!

Volvorsport

posted on 20/4/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
a chap i know whos building an NA 5 cylinder was building a turboed St170 before that , its not too hard to operate the VVT or leave it disconnected and itll use its home position .

8:1 CR is a bit low for street use - 9:1 is more useable , but in a light car i dont think it would matter

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

coozer

posted on 20/4/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
Please don't tell me that you were the one who outbid me by £2 and won that ST170 lump for £202 on ebay a couple of weeks ago - I'm still bitter about that!
Tom

No Tom. I got it out of a scrap yard. I had a choice of blacktops, duratecs or that St for the same price!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

neilp1

posted on 21/4/12 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
Tom

No Tom. I got it out of a scrap yard. I had a choice of blacktops, duratecs or that St for the same price!

What scrap yard was that Steve? anywhere local?

coozer

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Andys Auto's down the Boro. He's an old skool ford fan and has some interesting old cars in there...

Want anything? We can have a look down again if you want.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

neilp1

posted on 22/4/12 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Andys Auto's down the Boro. He's an old skool ford fan and has some interesting old cars in there...

Want anything? We can have a look down again if you want.

Steve

I'm not after anything at the moment, but good to know someone local!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.