Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track Tyres.. AO48's / R888's Etc for a 13x9
Benzo

posted on 26/11/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Track Tyres.. AO48's / R888's Etc for a 13x9

Im building a TR8 Sprint/ Hillclimb/ Road car car at the moment with an M62 BMW V8.. Its Going to get the cage installed now soon and its at the stage where i am asking questions about Wheels & Diff Ratios..

I want to run the car on 13" wheels and look very like a works replica car from the outside.. The problem is i am planning to run 13x7's on the front and 13x9's on the back.. For events i will prob run the car on slicks but for the road i will need something with plenty of grip to take 320ish HP in a 900kg Car.

I run R888's on my Westie Ni7's/ RGB racecar, and i found the tyres pretty good on the road as well a on the track.. But the largest they do is a 225/45/13 which in my eyes would be too narrow for a 9" rim?

The only other good Trackday tyres that i know of is the AO48 but they do not list a 13" range..

Anyone got any recommendations for me wanting to run a 9" wheel with 320hp on the road with some fairly low gearing and big torque figures?

Iain

phelpsa

posted on 26/11/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Khumo V70 in 235/45 R13 or ACB10-sport in 8.0/22-13 (245/45 13).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzo

posted on 26/11/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

Both road legal? I have heard of ACB10s.

bi22le

posted on 26/11/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
How about running a diferent skinnier set of wheels and getting a more regular tyre. Sure the cost includes another set of wheels but that cost will soon be offset if your paying a premium for unusual tyre sizes. Means you can rock out with a road and a seperate race look!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

phelpsa

posted on 26/11/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzo
quote:

Yep, both road legal. The ACB10 will take a bit of getting used to as it is a proper race tyre with some grooves in it, so require warming up etc.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzo

posted on 26/11/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep, both road legal. The ACB10 will take a bit of getting used to as it is a proper race tyre with some grooves in it, so require warming up etc.

Ive used those tyres or a Variation of them on my Formula Ford 1600 about 10yrs ago! I had no idea they made a Road Legal Version! thanks, they should do my trick for both Road and Track tbh!

CNHSS1

posted on 26/11/12 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ive run acb10s and kumhos for sprints hills.
ACB10s are poss a bit hard for ultimate grip on sprints and hills, and at 900kg +driver you are at the far end of their weight range from memory.
The super soft kumhos are mega on sprints hills though! Softer than all other list 1bs by a margin imho, the compound works pretty wel cold unlike most which need heat ( usually only achieved at end of sprints hills run!)

ACB10s com in road legal e marked versions and track only, buy througb BMTR in Brum, they will advise.
They are based on slick crossply carcasses so are about half the weight of kumos or any other List 1b tyre too!

For the road kumho super softs would cook in a matter of miles, medium or hards possibly for 900kg

Kumhos are shallow grooved so not great in the rain, but as its 300horse and rwd, the chassis wont be great in the rain anyway lol

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

hobbsy

posted on 26/11/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The only other good Trackday tyres that i know of is the AO48 but they do not list a 13" range..
Iain

They definitely do A048's in 13" but not sure in the width you require...

CNHSS1

posted on 26/11/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My acb10s were 8x15s on the rear. The avon footprint is less than the equiv kumho though, ireespective of the fact that the sizing says 235 vs 245.

If you look on Avon Motorsport site you get rolling radius (useful to work gearing) and a footprint width.

In slicks they often do a number of widths, say 8.7, 9 & 9.2 and yet the footprint widths dont always reflect the width increments.

Be woryh chatting to BMTR inho

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Benzo

posted on 26/11/12 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
Ive run acb10s and kumhos for sprints hills.
ACB10s are poss a bit hard for ultimate grip on sprints and hills, and at 900kg +driver you are at the far end of their weight range from memory.
The super soft kumhos are mega on sprints hills though! Softer than all other list 1bs by a margin imho, the compound works pretty wel cold unlike most which need heat ( usually only achieved at end of sprints hills run!)

ACB10s com in road legal e marked versions and track only, buy througb BMTR in Brum, they will advise.
They are based on slick crossply carcasses so are about half the weight of kumos or any other List 1b tyre too!

For the road kumho super softs would cook in a matter of miles, medium or hards possibly for 900kg

Kumhos are shallow grooved so not great in the rain, but as its 300horse and rwd, the chassis wont be great in the rain anyway lol

I see you are running a Scimitar on the hills.. Not Blue thunder by any chance? Bev Fawkes car? I remember watching it on round of the british hillclimb championship years ago at Kirkistown..

As you say i struggles with grip in on crossle FF year ago but it was in a FFord class so those ACB10's where all i could run!

I will look into the Kumhos and see what is available, the medium kumhos could do my trick for road and Hills!

Iain

[Edited on 26/11/12 by Benzo]

CNHSS1

posted on 26/11/12 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
No, not BT althougb Bev does keep threatening to bring it back out, spoke to him in august about it.
It used to run a 3.4 Essex GAA which was worth silly silly money, then he flogged that and dropped a 24v cologne cosworth in it with a pr of turbos, not sure what it would have been running when you saw it.

Mines a baby scimitar SS1 fitted with Nissan 4 pot turbo, pics in my archive. Runs slicks now.
Wreckex it at prescott ( driver error...) so undergoing rebuild very slowly lol

Ive not run kumho mediums or hards, as mine never ran on yhe road, but some of the BMW, Porsche and Morgan boys do on similar weight and grunt cars to yours

CNHSS1

posted on 26/11/12 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
For kunho motorsport tyre info, speak to Tony at South Shore tyres in blackpool, hes their main motorpsport agent and techie guru

Benzo

posted on 26/11/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
No, not BT althougb Bev does keep threatening to bring it back out, spoke to him in august about it.
It used to run a 3.4 Essex GAA which was worth silly silly money, then he flogged that and dropped a 24v cologne cosworth in it with a pr of turbos, not sure what it would have been running when you saw it.

Mines a baby scimitar SS1 fitted with Nissan 4 pot turbo, pics in my archive. Runs slicks now.
Wreckex it at prescott ( driver error...) so undergoing rebuild very slowly lol

Ive not run kumho mediums or hards, as mine never ran on yhe road, but some of the BMW, Porsche and Morgan boys do on similar weight and grunt cars to yours

It ran the Twin Turbo Engine when i say it, British sprint championship around 99/2000, it used to fecking hike down the straights, the reason i as is that if you know Bev you might know Pete Tyler who used to run the 5L TR8, black and red?

Id love some info on that car for my build if you would have a way of getting in touch with him?

Ill have a look into your Archive

Iain

CNHSS1

posted on 26/11/12 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Theres been a couple of turbod TRs in recent years although that car rings a bell, i dont think ive seen it recent times, unless its been repainted?
Im sure theres red one and a pale-ish blue one about on hills/sprints.
Have you spoken to the TR Register comp sec?

Also woryh trying the MG car club results for anglesey May events for last few years, sure ive sen one there and defo Loton Park results as its local to me and take my kids to most events to spectate, seen blown TR7/8s for sure

Benzo

posted on 26/11/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Theres been a couple of turbod TRs in recent years although that car rings a bell, i dont think ive seen it recent times, unless its been repainted?

Also woryh trying the MG car club results for anglesey May events for last few years, sure ive sen one there and defo Loton Park results as its local to me and take my kids to most events to spectate, seen blown TR7/8s for sure

No no the Scimitar (blue thunder) was blown when i saw it is what i mean...

That TR8 (black one) im talking about was a 5L Rover V8 N/A..

I know the Blue one you are talking about tho its a 4wd one..

Is it this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYSNtO6Lxl8

Nigel Elliot?

Iain

jeffw

posted on 26/11/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Either Avon ZZRs at 215/60 13" (they actually measure 235) or Avon CR500 245/50 13"

CNHSS1

posted on 26/11/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
yep, dont know the driver, but defo seen the car in the vid in recent times.

will see if i have pics or details on the others ive seen.

at castle combe 2008 or 2009 october pegasus sprint there were 2 or 3 TR7s/8s, at least one was black. will see if i have the entry list somewhere as it will have names and approx home town location.

Benzo

posted on 26/11/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Either Avon ZZRs at 215/60 13" (they actually measure 235) or Avon CR500 245/50 13"

CR500's could work mate, would they be happy running on a 900KG car?

jeffw

Yeap...should think so.

Benzo

quote:
yep, dont know the driver, but defo seen the car in the vid in recent times.

will see if i have pics or details on the others ive seen.

at castle combe 2008 or 2009 october pegasus sprint there were 2 or 3 TR7s/8s, at least one was black. will see if i have the entry list somewhere as it will have names and approx home town location.

Thanks that would be great..

Im stuck over here in N.Ireland, there aren't many knocking about over here

CNHSS1

posted on 26/11/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Loton park results,

12august Simon Allaby 4.2 TR7

also shows class record by a Hugh Maund 4.6L in '02

CNHSS1

posted on 26/11/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
http://gallery.bristolpegasus.com/2010/Pegasus-Sprint-16-Oct-2010/21592352_8FTV36#!i=1721918157&k=qSXs8ZZ

Benzo

posted on 26/11/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Loton park results,

12august Simon Allaby 4.2 TR7

also shows class record by a Hugh Maund 4.6L in '02

Thanks,

Some good information there

CNHSS1

posted on 26/11/12 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
http://gallery.bristolpegasus.com/Category/Pegasus-Sprint-15-Oct-2011/21544100_mBC62J#!i=1717634481&k=47p9kBq

http://gallery.bristolpegasus.com/Category/Pegasus-Sprint-15-Oct-2011/21544100_mBC62J#!i=1717634481&k=47p9kBq

one from colerne sprint 06?

combe 03
http://gallery.bristolpegasus.com/2003/Pegasus-Sprint-Castle-Combe/21642966_3G6hSz#!i=1726221730&k=ttchBvN

http://gallery.bristolpegasus.com/2002/Pegasus-Sprint-19-Oct-2002/21628726_TZhWcm#!i=1724921215&k=jRWwkXV

pics in paddock queue 2001

http://gallery.bristolpegasus.com/2001/Pegasus-Sprint-Castle-Combe/21603311_ZhVBXd#!i=1722838654&k=BDLGW5L

ben240z

posted on 12/5/13 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
pete tyler

quote:

Hi, just found this post. Pete still has the tr8 and bev still has the scimitar.

If you want info on the tr8 then let me know what you are after and I will pass it on to pete.

He is sharing my mp72 5ltr hopefully later this season.
Cheers ben

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.