Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Subaru Legacy Estate 2005 onwards
TPG

posted on 20/12/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Subaru Legacy Estate 2005 onwards

Does anyone have one or experience of these? Looking at the possibility of getting one in the future. Both auto and manual. After a guide of parts availability and tyre life,mpg etc etc.

I have also got in mind the X Trail and CRV, but I know both of these vehicles as good but just was thinking a little left field.
Thanks

[Edited on 20/12/12 by TPG]

..Which was nice..

snakebelly

posted on 20/12/12 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
used to have an early legacy bi turbo estate import, it went like a scalded cat. Parts were sometimes a bit of a pain but nothing was unobtainable.
BigFaceDave

posted on 20/12/12 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
X trails (also known as x fails) have problems with turbos and are a Renault engine not had any expiernce myself but I was told to steer clear when I was looking for a caravan tow car for my parents. I had a 1999 legacy and it eas the worst car I've ever had! But I have never heard anyone else say a bad word against themselves might just have been mine. I had a 2.5 and it wasn't very fast 18mpg regardless if you took it steady or gave it the beans and was redicilous for parts but like I say mine seems to have been a one off. Hope that helps.
johnny chimpo

posted on 20/12/12 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
My dad had a L-reg legacy estate 2.0 petrol from 3 years old, he kept it for 7 years and did over 100k in it, apart from the usual servicing the only thing he ever replaced was the battery... Absolutely brilliant car, so much so he replaced it with an X-reg impreza 2.0 petrol (non turbo model). He ran this for 8 years and again 100k miles without any issues apart from the usual servicing, a new battery and a clutch.

He absolutely swears by Subarus, most reliable cars he's ever owned and much better than the crappy Citroen c3 my mum has.

NigeEss

posted on 21/12/12 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Friend of mine has a 54 plate 3.0 6 pot and she loves it. Been 100% reliable over the 5 years she's owned it.
Having driven it a few times myself I can see why, fast, comfortable, handles well and sounds great. Only
downside is the fuel consumption, average 18 and can just crack 30 on a cruise if driven extremely gently.

I've an uncle in Canada who absolutelyy swears by Subarus and judging by the number I see on the road
every time I go to visit it's obvious he's not alone in that opinion.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Ivan

posted on 21/12/12 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Whenever I get my Forester serviced I get a replacement from the agents that's normally an old Legacy wagon often with 200 to 300 000 + kms on the clock and apart from obvious suspension bush and shock absorber problems and very tatty upholstery normally drives mechanically like a new car so I have no doubts about engine reliability. They even handle remarkably well despite the obvious suspension problems.
rf900rush

posted on 21/12/12 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Just replaced a X reg 2.5 outback with a 2005 H6 out back.

Trip computer shows 18-20 mpg , but we live in south London and mostly does school run trips.
I don't think the 245bhp flat 6 helps either.
Just a shame I have to drive the Fiesta most of the time.

18mpg towing a twin axle heavy caravan, this was one reason for the H6 outback, tows up to 2000kg.
the 2.5l was near its limit.

Spent ages looking for a replacement for the old outback.
And every thing said get another one.

Paid £3400 for this one on ebay ,risky buy, but in the end just needed a 2 day long clean, and not too worried about the little
dents it had.
Most at the time were 5K +.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chillis

posted on 21/12/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Love the Legacy estate 3.0 H6 just can't afford the road tax:-(

The ride of the spec b can be a bit jingly - very germanic i once heard it described.

[Edited on 21/12/12 by chillis]

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

adithorp

posted on 21/12/12 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Legacy, seem to suffer low MPG and dealers aren'to every street corner so parts can be aukward to get... if you ever need any (big if).
X-trail, too much Renault DNA in it... so you'll need to know where the dealers are.
C-RV, we'd be out of business if we had to rely on Honda's breaking down.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/12/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
they do have a very well know oil pump pick up tube problem which can and does snap off killing the engine, a mates legacy died during an MOT from the same thing without warning (I'd been in it the previous day with no signs of an issue), bearings distroyed very quickly and not helped by my mate then taking it over to mine to ask what the thumping noises from the engine were!

Very dull and plain inside and lots of cheap plastic and terrable fuel consumption but that's to be expected

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TPG

posted on 21/12/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thankyou for the replys.
Interested to hear about the problems with the X Trails. I have been around them and not had any undue concerns.
I have a 2006 Jeep CRD which is heavy on Diesel and Road Tax so I am looking to change. Still need to tow a Sadovan with it though. Hence the four wheel drive leaning. but smaller/ a bit more economical day to day
Cheers

..Which was nice..

JoelP

posted on 22/12/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had 2 legacy turbos and one or two imprezzas. Lovely cars, though they were never going to be economical with 4wd and blown petrol engines.

I was looking at that sort of age legacy turbos recently, but they do seem a bit steep so i suspect i'll not have another. Would rather get an audi estate.

Driving a jeep you do get used to poor fuel consumption though, my 2.5d cherokee gets 21mpg through winter! Not far off as bad as my 2.7 biturbo a6!

[Edited on 22/12/12 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.