Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra driveshafts expert advice please
pigiron

posted on 10/1/13 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra driveshafts expert advice please

Hello to all,
I would welcome information regarding Sierra driveshaft lengths, flange sizes, splines etc.

Here is the scenario;

I am building a RWD Ford KA for French autocross, I bought the part built rolling shell. It was an abandoned project which fell foul of the MSA rule changes regarding hybrid cars and consequently has no class in which it could be competitive in the UK. Happily for me it falls in nicely to one of the French autocross classes, happy days.

The car was produced in Ireland be Imtec who also did the 4WD Pumas, it has a Sierra floor pan, at the rear has a de-Dion axle with a Sierra diff, a bit like a Caterham but with a panhard rod instead of the A frame, it is also much stronger, which brings me to my question…..

I am about to fit a 7,5” diff, why 7.5 you ask .... because I have managed to source a works 5.88 CWP, and I now need to source the drive shafts.

Here is the spec;

The outer flanges are 100mm diameter.

Diff output flange could be either 100mm or 108mm but at the moment I have been offered a 108mm so let’s assume that.

Length required is a shade under 51cm.

Is there anything off the shelf or can I mix and match shafts / lobros etc?

I spent several hours searching for info but am getting quite confused.

Thanks for reading.

mcerd1

posted on 10/1/13 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
the only sierra to use the 108mm CV's was the rwd cossie (the 24v granny, 4x4 cossie's and all the rest use 100mm)

the rwd cossie ones also have larger diamiter shafts so you can't just swap the CV's either

TBH it would be alot easier to get 100mm flanges for the diff - is it a Ford viscous LSD ?

[Edited on 10/1/2013 by mcerd1]

-

pigiron

posted on 10/1/13 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Ford viscous.

Do you know what the diameter of the outer flange is on the 2WDCosworth?

mcerd1

posted on 10/1/13 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I beleve the sierra rwd cossie is 108mm (at least I think thats the outside diamiter - its the CV joint size anyway, as opposed to the 100mm CV's on all the other sierra's etc...) - but I don't have a cossie diff to measure inorder to check that

the only viscous 7.5" diff with 100mm CV's was the one in the early granny 24v cossie's (later ones have open diffs and traction control instead)

the open diffs have equal length stubs on the diff flanges - so arn't suitable for the ford viscous LSD which have unequal ones

[Edited on 10/1/2013 by mcerd1]

-

fregis

posted on 10/1/13 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I heard scorpio/granada diesel flange 108 mm.
I do not know how much truth, we also searching flanges - need join masserati and ford

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

snapper

posted on 11/1/13 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
Seventh Heaven has all the info, dims & cads you could want
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/
Crust World also has usefull info

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.