Author: Subject: The 95th anniversary of No. 267 Seaplane Squadron
acb2713

posted on 19/4/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
The 95th anniversary of No. 267 Seaplane Squadron

For those interested in the RAF...

267 Seaplane Squadron

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/4/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
do you post in Malta Aviation Museum section on Facebook ???

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

acb2713

posted on 19/4/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant

No I don't, sorry.

To be honest I was not even aware there is a Facebook page for the Malta Aviation Museum.

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/4/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by acb2713
quote:

No I don't, sorry.

To be honest I was not even aware there is a Facebook page for the Malta Aviation Museum.

Here you go Linky dink

Not been to Malta myself, but am determined to go as it was where my dad did service in the RAF durring WW2.

edit bit. I've put a link up to this on the Facebook page and credited yourself for making me aware.

[Edited on 19/4/13 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

acb2713

posted on 19/4/13 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

No I don't, sorry.

Here you go Linky dink

Not been to Malta myself, but am determined to go as it was where my dad did service in the RAF durring WW2.

edit bit. I've put a link up to this on the Facebook page and credited yourself for making me aware.

[Edited on 19/4/13 by jollygreengiant]

Thank you. I have only visited this museum a couple of times. And to think that it is only a fifteen minute drive from home!

However, I have visited the RAF Musuem in Hendon a few times. But I did live in North London, between 1971 and 1999, so it was easy for me to get to.

If your dad served in the RAF during the war, you can be certain he did see some action, from what my parents used to relate to me.

If you do come over, do let me know. We must have a beer, or two, together.

[Edited on 19-4-2013 by acb2713]

jollygreengiant

posted on 20/4/13 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thank you. I have only visited this museum a couple of times. And to think that it is only a fifteen minute drive from home!

However, I have visited the RAF Musuem in Hendon a few times. But I did live in North London, between 1971 and 1999, so it was easy for me to get to.

If your dad served in the RAF during the war, you can be certain he did see some action, from what my parents used to relate to me.

If you do come over, do let me know. We must have a beer, or two, together.

[Edited on 19-4-2013 by acb2713]

He certainly saw some action, he racked up some considerable hours as a Fighter Pilot in the 6 months + that he was there from Christmas '42' until the following July. he was what you might call one of the very 'Lucky' blighters, early 20's and the Government gave him numerous Spitfires to 'play' with (as he said) only trouble was that there were quite a few people shooting at him, but, he was definitely 'lucky' because he survived when so many of his fellow pilots didn't. The copy of his log book that he did for me (he DID intend for me to get his original, but one of my sisters has apparently had other ideas) makes for very interesting reading between the 'official' lines as did his letters home that my Mum kept.

His whole 'story' of when he was out in Malta has given me a great respect for the People of Malta.

acb2713

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
My dad, who was a member of the Royal Malta Artillery, was on one of the anti-aircraft guns around the Grand Harbour in Valletta. He used to say that the first air raids came from the Italians, but they flew so high that they were lucky if they hit land. However, in my dad's words, "when the Germans came, we knew it because from our gun positions, we used to look down on them, as they attacked the ships and the shipyard in the harbour". To give you an idea of what this means, the bastions around Valletta range from a height of about 125 feet (30 metres) to 175 feet (53 metres).

[Edited on 20-4-2013 by acb2713]

scudderfish

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Fixed link

acb2713

posted on 20/4/13 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Fixed link

Thank you, I just could not get it to work...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.