Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: s2000 lightend flywheel
unijacko67

posted on 23/5/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
s2000 lightend flywheel

Ok, I've decided to get the weight down even more on my s2000 Honda crank by fitting light weight alloy pulleys along with the lightened flywheel.
I had to chuckle as I was reading all the threads (s2K or something) regarding whether it would help bhp and the whole forum wanting rolling road tests which in my opinion is a load of crap because you don’t/might not get any more bhp, but it should be a quicker response wise reving motor. If it revs quicker surely it can go through the gears faster so must help with acceleration?

Description
Description

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 23/5/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
surely there will be a marginal increase in power as anything in the drivetrain will sap power the more weight the bigger loss as the engine is working harder also vibrations from unbalanced items will sap a bit of power. Yo may as well go down the conrod lightening route as well and really get the reving potential up

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mark chandler

posted on 23/5/13 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Reducing the spinning weight will indeed improve acceleration although will have no impact upon torque or BHP, you are removing inertia the resistance to change.
Brett Jones

posted on 24/5/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
One of the main differences between the AP1 and AP2 motors were the weight of the flywheels. With the AP2 they made the flywheels heavier and this was to stop the motor over revving when gear down which caused the a lot of motors to go bang. If I remember correctly it was caused from the conrod end caps failing. So bear this in mind if you do lighten your flywheel.

http://mnrvtecvortxbuild.blogspot.co.uk/

tilly819

posted on 24/5/13 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
ooh, this is something i have been considering doing on mine, very interested to know what you think of them!!

Where did you get your pulleys and flywheel from and how many monies if you don't mind my asking ??

Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

unijacko67

posted on 24/5/13 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi sorry for delayed reply, we have re-sprayed the chassis tonight as we missed quite a few bits last time.

The flywheel was £195 and the pulleys where £80 and I got them from ebay. I was trying to get a standard flywheel to have machined, but figured it would still cost as much. As it now turns out I have 3 standard flywheels (1 ap2 and 2 ap1) as I have bought a few dead s2000 engines to help with parts for my stroker.

Good point on the down shift and potential over rev, I will have to be careful with this motor, but that shouldn’t be an issue with the 2400, which is an on going project and will need programmable ECU and stuff. One thing I should mention is that the alloy crank pulley has no hex to hold it unlike the standard pulley while tightening the crank bolt so I’ve had to use the windy gun.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.