Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OS Upgrade
Mark Allanson

posted on 8/7/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
OS Upgrade

Every couple of years I upgrade my computer with bits donated by my cutting edge kids.

I now have a motherboard with 8 gig of memory, a triple core processor, a blank 1tb HD, but no OS, I am just about to order Windows 7 home premium 64bit SP1 from ebuyer, before I press the button, does anyone recommend I go for 8, or a different version of 7.

Advice eagerly awaited
(no votes for Linux as I don't have clue how it works or how to get drivers for all my PCI bits and bobs)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

chrism

posted on 8/7/13 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Best to stick with 7, definately dont want 8 unless youve got a touch enabled display.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

SteveWalker

posted on 8/7/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd go for 8 (I have done on both our PCs), but then install the free download "Classic Shell" which lets you boot straight to the desktop, re-instates the Start Button, IE's menu bars, etc. and will let you select the look and feel of 7, XP or Windows Classic. That way you get the latest OS (8 is a little more efficient than 7), but the familiarity of whichever version of Windows you prefer.
Brett Jones

posted on 8/7/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you go with 8 you might find that it doesn't have the correct drivers to set everything up on your older motherboard, so it would be best to stick with 7.

http://mnrvtecvortxbuild.blogspot.co.uk/

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/7/13 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have also decided to go for a SSD 60GB drive for which ever OS I go for, anyone else go for 8 with classic shell?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MikeRJ

posted on 8/7/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got Windows 8 64 bit with Stardock 8 which is commercial solution to fix the ridiculous "Modern" interface, it's only 5 US Dollars. Without it I doubt my PC would have survived until now as I'd probably have stamped on it in a rage With the proper start menu, Windows 8 seems fine. It's very fast with an SSD due to the hybrid sleep mode, mine boots in under 5 seconds.

So far I have found no significant issues or incompatibilities, the worst for me being the Cisco VPN client I use when working at home that stops Windows shutting down after using it, but this is due to be fixed (by Cisco).

[Edited on 8/7/13 by MikeRJ]

SteveWalker

posted on 8/7/13 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Jones
If you go with 8 you might find that it doesn't have the correct drivers to set everything up on your older motherboard, so it would be best to stick with 7.

I've had no driver problems, despite relatively old kit, but general opinion seems to be that windows 7 or Vista drivers will work with 8 anyway.

stevebubs

posted on 8/7/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Go with 8....
britishtrident

posted on 8/7/13 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Every couple of years I upgrade my computer with bits donated by my cutting edge kids.

I now have a motherboard with 8 gig of memory, a triple core processor, a blank 1tb HD, but no OS, I am just about to order Windows 7 home premium 64bit SP1 from ebuyer, before I press the button, does anyone recommend I go for 8, or a different version of 7.

Advice eagerly awaited
(no votes for Linux as I don't have clue how it works or how to get drivers for all my PCI bits and bobs)

The point about Linux is it comes with a complete set of drivers, just stick in a bootable DVD or CD in answer a few simple question and the hardware detecion sorts it all out, the computer is up and running in 20 minutes complete with office software.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

twybrow

posted on 8/7/13 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I also use Windows 8 with a start button/classic shell app. I like it. To be fair I also liked it without the Start button, but my IT man at work didn't! With an SSD, it is bloody quick. I have had a few issues to sort, but nothing tricky.
Not Anumber

posted on 8/7/13 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for Linux. If you are used to the look and feel of Windows XP or Windows 7 then use Linux Mint as you will be able to use it straight away with no issues or conflicts.

britishtrident

posted on 9/7/13 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Classic shell is good it get rid of the biggest objection to Windows but but some Windows 8 annoyances remain, to b be fair most version of the Windows interface have niggling differences in thse interfaces to the techie stuff such as Control Panel and Networking.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snakebelly

posted on 9/7/13 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
be very careful going with a 60Gb SSD, I did this on the win7 machine at home and it very quickly became full even though I was using it for the OS only. you can get round it be redirecting some storage to other drives but its a pain. In the end I buckled and splashed for a 250Gb drive.

[Edited on 9/7/13 by snakebelly]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.