Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Flat oval Indy top bones
dozracing

posted on 25/10/04 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Flat oval Indy top bones

Pic attached. Please contact me off list if this is of interest to you. Rescued attachment mk-top-wishbone.jpg
Rescued attachment mk-top-wishbone.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 25/10/04 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
NICE!!!

shortie

posted on 25/10/04 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
VERY NICE!!!
cerbera

posted on 25/10/04 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
VERY VERY NICE!!!
Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/10/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
V... no i sharn't continue that.

Looks good darren, should have no trouble shifting them !

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Northy

posted on 25/10/04 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Daren,

Do you fancy doing a "wide track" Avon front end?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Jarce

posted on 26/10/04 at 03:59 AM Reply With Quote
Nice looking quality.
Not being in the least bit critical, Darren, just curious; why did you terminate the outer ends of the aero tube like you have rather than run them into the camber adjuster outer? (I realise the adjuster would then need to be longer.)
It's a bit hard to tell, are they actually aero tube, or just oval?
Have you tried bending any of the tube?

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/10/04 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
Nice looking quality.
Not being in the least bit critical, Darren, just curious; why did you terminate the outer ends of the aero tube like you have rather than run them into the camber adjuster outer?

Actually, it looks a very good way of doing it! The almost straight weld runs look a lot easier than the book design.
Aesthetically, it makes no odds as you can barely see the wishbone ends anyway.

rgds,

David

dozracing

posted on 26/10/04 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
I'd love to do a wide track Avon front end. Contact me via email and we'll work together to do it.

Hugh. You sort of answered the question yourself. Its a bit of a compromise between getting plenty of tube attached to the end of the wishbone, and having too long a camber adjuster.

The are flat oval, although if you wanted to be really tarty i could make them in full tear drop aero tube. No they are not bent. I've posted before about not being a lover of bending tubes.

Kind regards,
Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Hugh Jarce

posted on 26/10/04 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I wasn't worried about the asthetics; I think they look really smart.
Thanks for the clarification Darren, I was just wondering if there was a trick I was missing.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

zetec

posted on 26/10/04 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Can I have a set without powder coating?
Have you got a set in stock?

Next question. What castor angle are they set for? Say with my MK Sierra upright mushroom set in the centre position.

Let me know if you have a set and I'll pop over and get them.

dozracing

posted on 26/10/04 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Zetec,

You can have them un-powdered if you like, but because of the way i process the powder coating in batches i don't actually pay to have these bones done, so i can't offer a discount on them.

I will have the next batch of 5 sets in next week, so sure pop over and pick a set up.

They are jigged from a set of Indy wishbones, so they will give you the same castor angle as standard. Which from memory is 5.3 degrees.

Kind regards,

Darren

locoboy

posted on 27/10/04 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good

so i guess im right in thinking that there are a direct replacement for the indy item and as such take MK bushes not the GTS ones?

Am i also right in thnking that there are NOT of any use on a book chassis?

ATB
Locoboy

dozracing

posted on 27/10/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
They are a direct replacement for the MK wishbones, but, i do use my polybushes and these are provide with the bones if need be. Although i suspect we get them from the same supplier.

I do a different version for the book which is dimensionally as per the book, except for the bush sizes.

Kind regards,

Darren

locoboy

posted on 28/10/04 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the clarification Darren,

I have been doing a bit of maths (badly maybe!) and comparing the size of your bush tubes with that from MK, am i right in thinking that your tubes have a wall thickness of 18g (1.2mm) and MK are 12g (2.64mm) - this would make sense if your both using the same ID tube @ 28.5mm

Where's Carol Vordman when you really need her

ATB
Locoboy

dozracing

posted on 28/10/04 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
The bush tubes i use are 3mm wall, but the ID is as you say 28.5.

Kind regards,

Darren

locoboy

posted on 28/10/04 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Is my maths letting me down here?

On the bush tube PDF on GTS tuning website it states 1.25 inch 18g tube is required.

1.25 inch OD =31.75mm
less the ID of 28.5 = 3.25, divide this by 2 to get wall thickness of 1.62 (16g) not the 3mm Darren just mentioned.

either Darren is talking about the new indy wishbones which use a different spec tube to the ones on the PDF or the PDF is wrong.

ATB
Locoboy

dozracing

posted on 28/10/04 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
The PDF is wrong-ish.

The PDF was orginally done for another project, and the sizes work out for these bushes, but, for production road car wishbones i have changed supplier and now use a 35mm OD CDS tube with a 3.2mm wall.

I ought to update the pdf really. So don't worry your maths are working out fine.

Kind regards,
Darren

mad-butcher

posted on 28/10/04 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
look very nice,but i thought martin kicked the top ball joint mounting up for a particular reason, something to do with not fouling the ball joint or what ever..but there again i'm no engineer
tony

dozracing

posted on 28/10/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you look closely Tony, the bush is kicked at the same angle.

Its hard to see in the picture as the bones are black and the angle isn't very apparent.

Kind regards,

Darren

[Edited on 28/10/04 by dozracing]

DEAN C.

posted on 29/10/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Nice wishbones Darren!

Smells better here than on other topics!

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.