Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Binning the sierra stalks.
Staple balls

posted on 4/8/15 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
Binning the sierra stalks.

I swear, every time I do something on this pile of parts, something else goes wrong.

So, yeah, some of the useful bits on my second set of sierra stalks have packed up, and I'm not that keen on spending ~£20 on another set of questionably knackered parts.

Anyway, looking at it, this seems like it might do most of the stuff I want, for a bit less hassle.

Anyone got one, and how do they fit on the sierra column?

Ta.

micksalt

posted on 4/8/15 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Only thing to consider with the third-party stalks is how much the lack of self-cancelling indicators will annoy you.
Irony

posted on 4/8/15 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I became thoroughly annoyed with the sierra indicator. I just couldn't wrap my head around the wiring. I have exactly that CBS stalk. In fact I have two. The first one developed a fault and then sent me a second at no charge. Quite good really as I built nearly all the car with the dodgy stalk and only replaced it with the new one a couple of weeks back. Works fine.

I have attached using the sierra column mounting points. There are two M5 or M6 bolts. I just made a small adapter plate with holes in the correct place for the stalk holes and two more holes for the stalks attachment. Careful fettling can shorten the arm but this loses the horn function. My adapter plate is made from 4mm ally that I bent slightly to angle the arm. I also straightened the arm in the vice so it clears the wheel nicely. I have made a leather steering column shroud that covers the arm and the stalk.

It doesn't self cancel but I think there is a self cancelling method on it. I couldn't make it work. I have a buzzer on my indicators to remind me to cancel.

[Edited on 4/8/15 by Irony]

Irony

posted on 4/8/15 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be posting up some pre IVA photos later so I'll be sure to get some shots of it and put them on here.
Staple balls

posted on 4/8/15 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome, that sounds ideal. Better beat SWMBO into submission.
rodgling

posted on 4/8/15 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not just hook up a timer relay to get self-cancelling after a fixed delay of, say, 10 seconds? That covers you if you forget the indicators.
Irony

posted on 4/8/15 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Can you not just hook up a timer relay to get self-cancelling after a fixed delay of, say, 10 seconds? That covers you if you forget the indicators.

You'd need some sort of solenoid or actuator to push the stalk back into place.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.