Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto running issue
RedAvon

posted on 4/8/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto running issue

Evening folks,

Just looking for your thoughts....

I start up the Pinto engine (in the chassis) every six months as the car is still unfinished. Plugs out and clean, few drops of oil in each cylinder with a spray of WD40, turn engine over by hand a few turns, fresh petrol, plugs in and she usually fires straight away. Run up to temperature, check gauges etc. and then switch off.

Don't know if the above is the correct thing to do, so any advice gratefully received.

This time, couldn't get her started, faffed around with plugs, cleaned distributer cap. Fuel initially seemed to be an issue as spark was ok. Not sure if the electric fuel pump was delivering fully as the noise seemed quieter, but there seemed to be a good flow after a possible airlock?

Few sprays of carb cleaner in the trumpets and eventually, reluctantly she fired up. Running absolute rubbish, sounds like only 2-3 cylinders and rattling like an old diesel top end.

When I wiggle what I think is the unconnected choke levers at the back of the Webers, one set starts to kill the engine but the other does not.

The Pinto is a 205 block, FR32 cam, lightened flywheel, work done by Burtons I believe but a few years back now. Twin 45 Webers - normally sounds really sweet.

Should I suspect the carbs? Or is it possible the timing is out - but can't see why. Car is stored in a very dry garage when not worked on.

Just looking for any pointers please, and if it is the carbs (gummed up?) what is the best procedure to follow.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Bricoleur

madteg

posted on 4/8/15 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Remove all old petrol from inside carbs and fill with fresh petrol for a start
snapper

posted on 4/8/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Carb cleaner spray everywhere
Take the top hats off and spray in there leave overnight

When running spray carb cleaner at the carb manifold join
If engine revs rise it's probably the O rings in the matting thingies

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

chillis

posted on 5/8/15 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Do not let modern fuel sit in the carbs. Petrol has ethanol in it which absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, long after the fuel has evaporated the moisture is hard at work corroding and furring up the carbs inner workings.
I avoid running my engine unless I'm going to get it upto working temperature.
My procedure is to remove plugs dribble just a tiny amount of oil in each plug hole then spin the engine over with the plugs out until oil pressure is raised. Replace plugs.
i also make sure the engine doesn't stop in the same place so the same valves arnt always left open which can stress valve springs on high lift cams.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

RedAvon

posted on 5/8/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for the advice guys.

Carb cleaner is all over and within - leaving it o/night and will fire it up again tomorrow - if the rain ever stops ....

Cheers
Ian

Bricoleur

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.