Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Wheel Bearings
shortie

posted on 6/6/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Rear Wheel Bearings

Am thinking of changing my rear wheel bearings on the Indy and before I undertake it thought it would be a good idea to ask if it's fairly easy to do?

Just wondered what is involved and how long it will take?

thanks,
Rich.

marc n

posted on 6/6/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
hi rich

the only thing you may find when changing the bearings is the outer race housing becomes siezed in the cast housing
this can be freed off by running a line of weld in the inside of the outer race itself then they just drop out

hope that helps

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 6/6/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Apart from getting the damned hub nuts undone (sierra rear end i assume), it should be a relatively simple job.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ned

posted on 6/6/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
i did mine at the weekend with the bead of weld trick (thanks marc ) worked a treat. problem i now have is getting the new ones in as i chucked the old bearings so don't have them to use as a drift. will try the oven/freezer to see if that helps a bit.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortie

posted on 6/6/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Bead of weld is fine, only problem is that I guess you need a welder and I don't have one!!!!
ned

posted on 6/6/05 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
you can knock them out, but they are quite tight! maybe a small blow torch might get them hot enough? otherwise you're welcome to bring them all the way to guildford and i'll get them out in about 3 mins

Ned.

shortie

posted on 6/6/05 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember when I fitted them that they fell out at some point (not sure whether they should have!!), assuming I get them out ok how do I get the new ones in?

Rich.

ned

posted on 6/6/05 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
as said i'm gonna try putting the hubs in the oven and the bearing outer race in the freezer to see if the expansion/contraction will help me get them in a bit easier..

will let you know how i get on

shortie

posted on 6/6/05 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
ok cheers ned.

Has anyone else experienced the actual bearings falling out when fitting the hub etc.

Can't remember too much as I did them a while ago but I just put them back in fitted it all together!

Rich.

Dillinger1977

posted on 6/6/05 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
i used a strong metal rod and a hammer to get the outer races out, you can JUST get enough purchase on the inner lip. (be careful not to hit the upright tho)

new ones i got from halfords special offer, a tenner a side as they are on special discount (hwb390)

to put new ones in i tried a bit of a trick learned off american chopper. heat the uprights and stick the new outer races in the freezer for a bit. i dont think it did much though

i used the old outer's as a drift to whack the new ones in.

(edit) this was for sierra uprights, im not sure if the indy uses the same..

[Edited on 6/6/05 by Dillinger1977]

-Rog

Rubin

posted on 6/6/05 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Did mine couple of weeks ago, got the outers out with a punch and hammer from the back, took a while but eventually they dropped out.

New ones in using old outer race as drift

DarrenW

posted on 6/6/05 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine came out easily with a bearing punch. Went in even easier using my mates 50T hydraulic press!!

mad-butcher

posted on 6/6/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget one side is left hand thread the other side is right hand thread if memory serves me right right hand side of car is normal thread left hand side is opposite it's so the nut always tries to tighten itself in normal wheel rotation
tony

Andybarbet

posted on 7/6/05 at 03:47 AM Reply With Quote
Just got a full car set of bearings from Halfrauds, £39.98 :-)

Went back next day to get a mate one front bearing and they needed to order it in because i had cleared them out the previous day, £47 to order each !! OUCH

Here's a piccy of how i removed my rear hubnuts, Geoff Wilkin told me about this idea and they both came off a treat ( Thanks Geoff) and all you need is a 4ft pole welded to an old brake disc, bolt the disc on and hey presto !! Rescued attachment Hub Remov.JPG
Rescued attachment Hub Remov.JPG

mad-butcher

posted on 7/6/05 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
love the workbench
ReMan

posted on 7/6/05 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Me no weldinator either.
Just usual hand tools, vice, oven and freezer.
Got my bearings off e-bay about a tenner.
Col

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ned

posted on 7/6/05 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
i paid £53 for my bearings for the rear end! halfords had them cheaper but having just moved the store around no one knew where they were

did the oven/freezer trick last night which helped a little (prob negligible as nothing to compare it to) then drove the outer races in with a large/wide straight slot screwdriver. scuffed the edges of the bearings slightly, but the surface the roller bearings run on is fine...

Ned.

ps good thing about the partco kit i ended up with was that they aren't handed as they supply 2 hub bolts (one with l/h thread) with each bearing. So I now have a spare set of hub bolts!

[Edited on 7/6/05 by ned]

mad-butcher

posted on 7/6/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
i'm heartbroken not that i really needed them but tried 3 halfords in my area and some-one was 10 minutes ahead of me cleared them out completely...I think you mean nuts ned ... thats industry std with left and right hand threads it's cheaper to put 2 nuts in a box rather than produce a specific box, computer reference etc
tony

ned

posted on 7/6/05 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Tony,

I agree and yes i mean nuts but A R E one of my other local motor factors where i went first and was gob smacked when they said £39 + vat per side do them as handed kits! need to make sure you get he right ones then

Ned.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.