Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK exhaust can strengthening mods
nick205

posted on 1/10/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
MK exhaust can strengthening mods

Having heard from several other MK builders that the small tab on the silencer used to support the exhaust system at the rear can easily break off I decided to have mine strengthened.

A local company did the work for me and these are the results. I haven't fitted it yet, but I'm very pleased with what they've done.

Any thoughts/comments?

[Edited on 1/10/05 by nick205]

nick205

posted on 1/10/05 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
pic1 Rescued attachment P1030095.JPG
Rescued attachment P1030095.JPG

nick205

posted on 1/10/05 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
pic 2 Rescued attachment P1030098.JPG
Rescued attachment P1030098.JPG

nick205

posted on 1/10/05 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
pic 3 Rescued attachment P1030099.JPG
Rescued attachment P1030099.JPG

Hellfire

posted on 1/10/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I think you should make it clear this is MK Sportscars - not MK Engineering.

SeaBass

posted on 1/10/05 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I think you should make it clear this is MK Sportscars - not MK Engineering.

Is there love lost???

john_p_b

posted on 1/10/05 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
mine has a far more heavy duty weld on it now than when i picked it up anyway, my can seemed to be made to mount on the left rather than the right so cut the mount off and welded it back on the other side

thankfully so far hasn't come off!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

nick205

posted on 1/10/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hellfire - correct this is on a can supplied by MK Sportscars. Although I don't think they make it themselves do they?

Either way, should be a bit more robust than before.

Cheers
Nick

skydivepaul

posted on 1/10/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a worthwhile mod. After my grasstracking last week at elvington i noticed that the can had been pushed back to the bodywork (whilst spinning through the field) bending the bracket and also cracking the gelcoat on the bodywork
I have straightened it out using brute force but I think a strengthening mod like yours looks just what I need. Where'd you get it done and how much do they charge.
Also any ideas on the best way to reapir small cracks / scratches in the gel coat bodywork? I have a few small scratches / gouges that I need to repair, also needs to match MK orange colour
cheers

Paul

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

bob

posted on 1/10/05 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure tube engineering suply the zorsts,i called them when mine snapped and they said they had never had one snap before

I had to bodge it and its still like it,but hey ho the cars for driving not looking at.

john_p_b

posted on 2/10/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
Also any ideas on the best way to reapir small cracks / scratches in the gel coat bodywork? I have a few small scratches / gouges that I need to repair, also needs to match MK orange colour
cheers

Paul

can't help on the cracks but as for the scratches use some very fine wet and dry 1200 grit or higher to cut the scratches back to being flat then give it a really good polish and it'll bring it up shiny in the end. takes time but better than having scratches all over the place

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

donut

posted on 3/10/05 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mine snapped off on my SVA re test!! Just about to get out when i noticed it had gone So it was a quick jaunt to a mates garage (proper garage like!) and he welded it back on...made it to SVA just in time phew! i also phoned the manufacturers and they also said it never happened before!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 3/10/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mine snapped on a trip from Bristol to Anglesey when the car was about 500 miles old. Fortunately got it re-welded at a friendly garage before continuing the trip. Your reinforcement looks good Nick, I might get something similar done myself. I also have a problem of the rivets shaking loose and the end trying to separate from the body, but that's a diferent matter!
indykid

posted on 3/10/05 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
pah, just snapping the bracket off?

it's when the collector snaps clean off that you've got to worry, especially when you're about 50 miles from home on a sunday afternoon!

MK - shhhhh welded it back on for me, but it's not gas tight, and does look remarkably like a bird has crapped on it.

tom

[Edited on 3/10/05 by indykid] Rescued attachment collector.jpg
Rescued attachment collector.jpg

nick205

posted on 4/10/05 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Matt,

I got the welding done by a comapny in Winchester. A few beer tokens were exchanged for that and some other bits and pieces. Let me know if you want the guys phone number.

Cheers
Nick

SeaBass

posted on 5/10/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
And someone was having a go at me for having a lolocost exhaust... No problems with that for two years and 5000 hard driving miles...

Cheers

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.