Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Volvo T6 Hotrod
ettore bugatti

posted on 15/11/05 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Volvo T6 Hotrod

Certainly an appealing concept. Imagine this with Ford Mondeo parts...

click here for more high res pics

From the press release:
"What you will find are OEM Volvo parts including a twin-turbocharged 2.9-liter inline 6-cylinder engine borrowed from an S80. "This engine has a few other tweaks," says Leif, "that probably bumps the horsepower from 268 to around 300."

Where you find the engine, however, isn't under the hood. It's in back, located just behind the supportive leather bucket seats that were also lifted from a Volvo S80. The gearbox is a 5-speed Geartronic transmission that sends the power to the rear wheels. To help keep the engine cool, the rear decklid automatically lifts when a preset temperature is reached inside the engine compartment. Up front is a small compartment containing the mechanicals for the functioning ABS brakes and the top-notch audio equipment.

The custom fabricated tubular steel frame was hand formed and utilizes rear subframes from the donor S80. Leif fabricated stainless steel A-arms for the fully independent front and rear suspension systems. Volvo C70 spindles, custom carbon-fiber leaf springs and a shortened S80 steering rack can be found up front. Around back are S80 front spindles and lower trailing arms with remote-reservoir Ohlins shock absorbers. The rear coil-over shocks, incidentally, are centrally mounted in the engine compartment. Braking up front is handled via 6-piston calipers and 330-mm discs while the rear discs are carried over from the Volvo S80. The front wheels are 8.5 inches wide and 20 inches in diameter, the rears are a full 10-inches wide and 22 inches in diameter.

Inside, the T6 Roadster looks as if it rolled off the Volvo factory line in Torslanda, Sweden. Aside from the seats, the instruments, headrests, shifter handle and pedal assembly can all be found in the Volvo S80. A steering wheel from a Volvo S60 adds a sporty look, while the instrument panel has been hand fabricated to locate the gauges centrally in the passenger compartment.

Leif began building his masterpiece way back in 1998. He placed the engine and transmission on a chassis jig in his shop and built the tubular frame around the mechanicals. The body came next. Consisting mostly of 1.5-mm aluminum, the entire car weighs just 2,400 pounds. His idea with this project was to design and build a car utilizing different Volvo forms. The rear hood is shaped like the Volvo P 1800, the rear lights like the old Volvo PV 444, the grill like the new Volvo XC70, and shape of the sides like old Volvo Amazon and the new C70, S60, S80."

[Edited on 15/11/05 by ettore bugatti]

[Edited on 15/11/05 by ettore bugatti]

Mr G

posted on 15/11/05 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=33904

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

RallyHarry

posted on 16/11/05 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Show piece

chassi stiffness ?

Cheers

jestre

posted on 16/11/05 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Does it actually have doors?

-=too much horsepower is just enough=-

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 16/11/05 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
not convinced about the front rocker arms myself...

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 16/11/05 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned

Good point Ned.

If finished in the photo above, then the welded joint at the inner end is massively stressed.....

kb58

posted on 16/11/05 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Oh I get it... the front suspension uses a composite spring down below, I was wondering what supported it. Nonetheless, the shock mount shaft is half-baked...

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

kreb

posted on 16/11/05 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's beautiful, but a flexi-flyer to be sure. Also, while fenderless designs may look cool, the roostertail of debris they create isn't.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

Rorty

posted on 17/11/05 at 05:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned

What about the non-braced, single shear rear rockers!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

RallyHarry

posted on 17/11/05 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
The guy building it was the R&D manager at Koenigsegg before he went solo so apparently the front geometry is done by them ...

My guess is that this is "good enough" and everyone else is doing somewhat "overkill bracing", the guy was a coachbuilder at Volvo R&D/design after all. ( ducking for cover)

Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.