Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Police officer shot dead.
RoadkillUK

posted on 18/11/05 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Police officer shot dead.

What is the world coming to?

Sky News

Just a couple of miles down the road too !!

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 18/11/05 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
a real shame. Say what you want, its a tough job and it does need doing.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

flak monkey

posted on 18/11/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
All the more reason cops should be allowed to carry weapons (with proper training of course) instead of that stupid stick.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

theconrodkid

posted on 18/11/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
its what happens when you let school kids get away with minor stuff,they graduate into major stuff knowing the law cant/wont touch them.
time for the rope and cops with guns again i,m afraid

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

steve_gus

posted on 18/11/05 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thats seemingly the fourth police woman to be killed in the last 20 years, 4 too many.

I dont think I would want to be a police officer attending a robbery if I knew them to be armed, and I wasnt. In fact, thats a bit nuts. There was a case a few years back when a woman was allowed to bleed to death in her house as she had been injured, and her husband they thought, had killed himself, but the police were not sure. so, they waited over an hr to be sure, and the woman died as a result.

Thats a strange contrast in caution to sending unarmed women police into a robbery situation......

The police dont actually want to be armed. It doesnt seem to do much good in the USA either if the link below is to be believed.

Putting guns in the hands of police may actually lead to more deaths of innocents, ala the man with the table leg and the tube shooting.

Its a difficult decision....

from this site ..... http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm

In a ten year span, 1988 to 1997, 633 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed by firearms in America. A handgun was the murder weapon in 78% (492 victims) of the fatal incidents. Over the same period of time, rifles killed 106 officers and shotguns killed 35 officers. A total of 253 law enforcement officers were slain while equipped with body armor.

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
john_p_b

posted on 18/11/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
1 big nasty circle will start before much longer. arm the police, the criminals will then go out more tooled up to match the police. then it'll get to a point of shoot on sight and before you know it the only safe place to be is 6ft under!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

DorsetStrider

posted on 19/11/05 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
Thats seemingly the fourth police woman to be killed in the last 20 years, 4 too many.

I dont think I would want to be a police officer attending a robbery if I knew them to be armed, and I wasnt. In fact, thats a bit nuts. There was a case a few years back when a woman was allowed to bleed to death in her house as she had been injured, and her husband they thought, had killed himself, but the police were not sure. so, they waited over an hr to be sure, and the woman died as a result.

Thats a strange contrast in caution to sending unarmed women police into a robbery situation......

The police dont actually want to be armed. It doesnt seem to do much good in the USA either if the link below is to be believed.

Putting guns in the hands of police may actually lead to more deaths of innocents, ala the man with the table leg and the tube shooting.

Its a difficult decision....

from this site ..... http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm

In a ten year span, 1988 to 1997, 633 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed by firearms in America. A handgun was the murder weapon in 78% (492 victims) of the fatal incidents. Over the same period of time, rifles killed 106 officers and shotguns killed 35 officers. A total of 253 law enforcement officers were slain while equipped with body armor.

WHY oh why whenever this discussion comes up do people immediately bring the yanks into it?

The americans arn't the only police force to carry arms as a matter of course. Australia, france, ireland, in fact I THINK we are the only EU country whose police are not armed! no one mentions them.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

dl_peabody

posted on 19/11/05 at 03:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yank here with my two pence....

quote:

During the same time how many bit cops were killed? Now what is the population of your island compared to America? And the ratio of officers compared to your population? The numbers are probably closer than you think.

quote:

The police dont actually want to be armed.

Who in their right Friggin' minds dont want the right tools to do the job? Would you allow someone to tell you to build your car but you cant use a spanner/wrench/ or hammer? No you would want the right tool for the right job.

quote:

All the more reason cops should be allowed to carry weapons (with proper training of course) instead of that stupid stick.

100% RIGHT...."STOP IN THE NAME OF THE QUEEN...and i have a stick" ....means nothing to a guy with a gun wanting to take what he wants. (July 7th? Would it have worked?)

Yes, guns are dangerous so you need training....cars kill more people per year than guns in any country. That is why yuou need to be trained and lisenced.

It amazes me that a country that produced Winston Churchhill also gave birth to Neville Chamberland.

Why don't you lay down with your heads in the sand, and fanny in the air, and proclaim "peace in our time" with all of your enemies, organized crime, and any miscreant that wants to bend you over for a quicky.

I am no BUSH lover...but you cannot ask a bully to be nice just because you don't want to grow a back bone. Crime is about oppertunity and the probabilty of sucess, damn the long term consequences, some would argue politics is cut from the same cloth.

If hoodlums, thugs, bullies, and terrorist find out you will not stand up you will spend your life bent over (or on your knees).

Homo homi lupus
Man is like a wolf to man...

I admire you Brits alot for alot of different reasons...but sometime some of you sicken me.

Yes this will be regaurded as harsh or flamebait by some but it was said by a friend.

[Edited on 19/11/05 by dl_peabody]

theconrodkid

posted on 19/11/05 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
100% RIGHT...."STOP IN THE NAME OF THE QUEEN...and i have a stick" ....means nothing to a guy with a gun wanting to take what he wants. (July 7th? Would it have worked?)

Yes, guns are dangerous so you need training....cars kill more people per year than guns in any country. That is why yuou need to be trained and lisenced.

It amazes me that a country that produced Winston Churchhill also gave birth to Neville Chamberland.

Why don't you lay down with your heads in the sand, and fanny in the air, and proclaim "peace in our time" with all of your enemies, organized crime, and any miscreant that wants to bend you over for a quicky.

I am no BUSH lover...but you cannot ask a bully to be nice just because you don't want to grow a back bone. Crime is about oppertunity and the probabilty of sucess, damn the long term consequences, some would argue politics is cut from the same cloth.

If hoodlums, thugs, bullies, and terrorist find out you will not stand up you will spend your life bent over (or on your knees).

Homo homi lupus
Man is like a wolf to man...

I admire you Brits alot for alot of different reasons...but sometime some of you sicken me.

Yes this will be regaurded as harsh or flamebait by some but it was said by a friend.

have to agree 110%.saudi and some far east countries dont have these problems as crims know they will loose a limb or their life,they also know they can come to soft touch GB and if they are caught legal aid lawyers will be only too happy to defend them

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

IWantOne

posted on 19/11/05 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
thoughts are with all her family and friends.

...could we start a thread of Condolence..are use this one?

i am about ready to leave these shores but not sure if anywhere else would be any better.

steve_gus

posted on 19/11/05 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I posted the info about rates of deaths of USA officers purely as it was what came up in google.

Enter police deaths in google, Im feeling lucky.....

The site actually refers to 1600 total police deaths of all types in 10 years.................

Im trying to illustrate that armed police may NOT be more safer. Google came up with USA results, and thats what I posted. Correcting for a 5:1 population ratio, the armed deaths come out 6-12 times higher than the UK's unarmed officers. (assuming 1-2 police deaths in UK a year which do not always involve guns (run over, killed in a car chase, etc)

a point you are missing is that whenever the UK police are asked, they state that they DO NOT want to be armed as a matter of course.

The last UK police gun death was almost 2 years ago, commited by David Bieber.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=23802

atb

steve

[Edited on 19/11/05 by steve_gus]

Just knock off the 's'!

Scotty

posted on 19/11/05 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
cita - your turn ...................

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

steve_gus

posted on 19/11/05 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
This isnt really a thread for a bitch fight over America is it?

Im taking no further part if thats the way it goes.

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

Benzine

posted on 19/11/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I remember south africa being a harsh place for police deaths.

"South Africa has one of the highest rates of police officers killed in the world. For the years 2000 and 2001, an average of 170 police officers were murdered per year in South Africa"

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

theconrodkid

posted on 19/11/05 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
looks like they got 2 of them in london,hope they have plenty of stairs for them to fall down

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

posted on 19/11/05 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
cita - your turn ...................

Not worth replying too

Gusto knows only two country's-GB and USA
It's like G(ood) B(ehaviour) and U S(cilly) A(ssh"l@s)

Scotty

posted on 19/11/05 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
sorry steve and cita !!!

I must not try to wind people up

couldnt manage it 100 times
(as my wife keeps reminding me ...........)

[Edited on 19/11/05 by Scotty]

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

posted on 19/11/05 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
TRY..Try..try
You friggin did it!!!

Scotty

posted on 19/11/05 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
oooops !!!!!
I must not succeed in winding people up

steve_gus

posted on 19/11/05 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4451508.stm

check the voting option

Im trying to engage in a debate about armed police - so in all seriousness Cita, perhaps you could give us some ideas of the figures for Belgium, and assuming you speak french, for France? Thats about equal in population numbers to the UK and I think both police forces are armed?

atb

steve

PS Cita - I, like a large proportion of the British public, tend to indentify itself and its culture much more so with the USA than with European countries. (I think that many Heads of State of EU countries would agree!). So I tend to look to america when looking at comparisons to the UK.

Google doesnt know where Ive been to or not, its just what it decided to tell me. I thought that the page 'im feeling lucky' gave me (a police charity site) was very informative. Have you read it?

Just knock off the 's'!

posted on 19/11/05 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Me no parlez Francais,me Flemish

I dont speak French,nor English for that matter so I would not have a clue what the French websites would tell, assuming that they are written in French.
Most police forces throughout the world are armed and I assume for a good reason.

I have not read the webpage Steve so cannot comment on it.

What I do know is that it would be utterly stupid to think that when police men dont carry guns,the criminals would stop using them too!

A fact is that if as a police men you dont carry a gun,it will be difficult to get charged for shooting someone and that could be the underlaying reason for not wanting to carry a gun.

A uniform and a stick are no longer enough to frighten criminals or would be criminals,that period is long gone!!!

Cheers Cita

steve_gus

posted on 19/11/05 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
You seem to type great English for someone that cant contribute to the debate through lack of communication skills

Yep, police not carrying guns wouldnt stop the criminals from carrying guns. However, our police DO carry guns . Its only a small proportion of officers that do though (10 - 20%). In the case of the recent shooting, it seems that two unarmed female officers were on the scene first. I think a decent question to ask is why would the police send two unarmed women to aprehend armed robbers. As our irate American posted, shouting 'i have a stick' might not cut it. If you send an armed officer, it would have been a better plan! Its not been mentioned in the media yet why armed response officers were not sent first on the scene to confront armed robbers.

We in the UK do have a relatively low (but any number is too high) police death rate. Its about one or two a year. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4451852.stm I dont think there has been any recent increase in police deaths. If the police carry guns, they have the chance to use them, and I feel that would result in increased innocent civilian deaths, or deaths that were not completly necessary.

When I have been to places where you see police clearly displaying guns on their belts, it actually makes me feel uneasy. I can quote the experience of a friend that visited a certain large north american country.

In the UK, if you get stopped by the police for a motoring offence, its common (and I would certainly do this) to get out of the car and stand by the vehicle in order to talk to the officer. Its no big deal. Do that in the country my friend went to, and the officer will get quite agitated, and in my friends case, threatened to draw his weapon. Thats pretty extreme for speeding!

Would every police officer have the right temprement to carry a weapon of death? Most times the public require the police for problems with neighbours, nuisance kids, car crime, burglaries, petty crime etc. I would prefer not to have an officer at my door with a .38 just cos im complaining that my neighbour is making too much noise.

Perhaps we have the right balance here, with 10 - 20% of officers able to provide armed response to ceetain types of law breaking. I think the issue is why did two unarmed 30 something police women get sent to confront three armed raiders?

From the BBC Website........

Home Office minister Hazel Blears rejected calls for the police to be routinely armed.

"It is important that the police have a very close relationship with the public and for them to routinely carry guns might put that relationship at risk," she said.

and....

Paul Tonks, of the West Yorkshire Police Federation, says that this will simply put officers in greater danger.

"If we were to routinely arm officers, then the cons of that could be more criminals prepared to use guns."

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

JoelP

posted on 19/11/05 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
they didnt know at the time that they were armed robbers, or indeed even robbers. It was a fracas that was reported, i believe.

some police do want to be armed though, and i would be suprised if there was 10-20% in the armed response units.

[Edited on 19/11/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

posted on 19/11/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
You seem to type great English for someone that cant contribute to the debate through lack of communication skills

atb

steve

Like I said before....not worth replying to

steve_gus

posted on 19/11/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen or heard somewhere that 10 - 20% of motorway patrols / police persuit cars carry weapons. Could be wrong tho - I dont suppose the police make that info readily available?

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.