Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bones with Castor
greggors84

posted on 8/12/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bones with Castor

After all the recent talk about the poor self centering of the Indy I would like to sort it. Getting through the SVA using massive toe out and over inflated tyres is one thing but I wouldnt like to have a car that handles well after the SVA. I have driven the car with no toe out and normally inflated tyres and it was a bit of a pain without the self centering, Im not sure what the handling is like when you push the car as I havent driven it that fast yet.

Does anyone do front wishbones with corrected geometry, I know GTS do Indy ones but not sure if they are offset for castor.

Has anyone made their own to correct this, if they have and still have the jigs would they be willing to make me a set for a bit of money.

Cheers

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

mad-butcher

posted on 8/12/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
haven't had the joys of an sva steering test
but we did a track day at aintree with 1mm toe in and spent a lot of time setting up the bump steer and it handled as if it was on rails ...couldn't fault it.
what did amaze me was the way toe in / out alter when you start to set up the bump steer. ended up with about 10mm packing under the steering rack. the article is on here somewhere. basically set the toe in at ride height put a jack under the front, disconnect the tops mounts of dampers then raise and lower the car and check how much it alters the toe in / out, then pack the steering rack till it's the same up and down
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
emsfactory

posted on 8/12/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I had to make my own top bones to get my locost to self center. Radically different from the book. Can you do me a techncal drawing of what you need. I may be able to help. I wont have any free time untill mid Jan though. Rescued attachment PICT0088.JPG
Rescued attachment PICT0088.JPG

emsfactory

posted on 8/12/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
To add to the toe in point. I bought a Gunson trackrite recently. 60 bucks on eBay and has paid for itself allready on the family fleet.
Could be worth a look.

greggors84

posted on 9/12/05 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that ems. I wont be needing them to till after Jan any, but can knock some technical drawings up in the meantime.

I just dont trust my own welding ability for wishbones.

Might have to have a look at the trackrite.

Cheers

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Avoneer

posted on 9/12/05 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
This is how I did mine with plenty of castor adjustment:
Pat... Rescued attachment 2.jpg
Rescued attachment 2.jpg

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.