Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 wiring loom
zxrlocost

posted on 15/12/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
r1 wiring loom

Hi

I have a 99 r1 engine

I also have the complete wiring loom for the bike and all the switch gear which was lucky so in theory if I take the switches off,extend the wires and fit my switches it should work first time???

shall I do it myself Im ok with electrics!

or shall Ibuy a loom from one of the suppliers

and If I do do you get the complete thing ready to plug and play when the send it you?? al connectors and everything etc

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

speed8

posted on 15/12/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm doing it myself on an '03 R1. The loom itself is fairly simple and most stuff just needs extended. The bits I don't need I'm just chopping out.

I would be surprised if one of the aftermarket looms have plugs for a Yamaha engine. I went looking for a new connector for a Honda rectifier and was told I would have to buy a new loom!!!!

zxrlocost

posted on 15/12/05 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
ok mate thats what I thought
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

smart51

posted on 16/12/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I used the bike loom for my 98 R1 engine plus a car loom from MNR. The reason I did this was simplicity - I'm using Sierra switches, ignition and handbrake. I only had to join 5 wires together and 4 of these were for warning lamps on the instrument pack.

If I were to do it again I'd just use the bike loom and extend it. A bit more work put probably tidier and a bit lighter. That said, I guess everything is easier the second time you do it.

RichieC

posted on 16/12/05 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I was led to believe that using the standard R1 loom was a complete nightmare.

I was talked out of it and Ive opted for an MNR loom, is it not as much of a problem?

Rgds

Rich

speed8

posted on 16/12/05 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look to be a big problem. Everything just connects to the engine and the other stuff just gets extended out to where it's needed.
I'm only using switches rather than sierra stalks.

RichieC

posted on 16/12/05 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Im using Sierra stalks and a Digidash so a bit more fiddly I suppose.
Peteff

posted on 17/12/05 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 99 r1 engine

Why are you called zxrlocost then?
I'm just in the process of extending my loom (ZX9R) but I'm extending them after the connection to the loom plug as it looks an easier option.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kurt

posted on 18/12/05 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've extended my 98 R1 loom, so far so good. I've worked out how to use the Sierra stalks to switch the lights, and need to sort out hazards and a foglight, but hopefully it won't be too bad. The real bastard was the cyclelock, but it's a runner now. I used the wire from the Sierra loom to extend everything (colours a bit iffy), just keep everything labelled and it'll be OK. I also used trailer cable to run wire to the lights at the front and back and branched it to each side. It's not connected up yet but fingers crossed!

Cheers, Kurt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.