Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK R1 cat rental
Paul G

posted on 30/1/06 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
MK R1 cat rental

Hi all

Just trying to fit my cat which I rented off MK for £50. I was told it was a straight swop for the end can of my standard MK supplied R1 exhaust system.
Turns out they are completley different sizes - the mounting points are 4 inches out!, I rang MK and they said no one else has had this problem. have a look at the attached picture - what has everyone else done? only thing I can think of is cutting up my middle link section but I'd rather not have to do this!

The one on the right is the rented item

[Edited on 30/1/06 by Paul G] Rescued attachment IMG_0001.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_0001.jpg

andyharding

posted on 30/1/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Does the tail pipe on the cat touch your tyre? If not couldn't you just make up a bracket to ectend the mounting?

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Paul G

posted on 30/1/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ay up Andy - yeah it was way past the tyre I've gone and chopped my link section now so at least the cat fits. Have to get a new link section now though when I pass the SVA..... Nowts ever simple!
DarrenW

posted on 30/1/06 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cat rental £50 . Was that just a deposit or the cost? Most other manufacturers loan them to builders for a lot less than that.

andyharding

posted on 30/1/06 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Have you booked the SVA yet?

And did you get to the bottom of the misfire?

Paul G

posted on 30/1/06 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I know £50 is a bit excessive (plus a £200 deposit!) but I thought it would be worth it as it would be a guaranteed straight fit, well thats what I was told at least!

Andy, not booked SVA yet - got my car in for an emissions test tomorrow so if thats ok I'll go ahead and book it.....

Put some new sparks in but I've not been for a test drive yet (you know the faff I'll have getting my car back in my drive pointing the right way!) - but it does sound better so guess I can put it to the test tomorrow on the way to the garage!

[Edited on 30/1/06 by Paul G]

kev R1

posted on 30/1/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
yout standard can looks a little bit short and small to me what is the length of your standard can and the mk one, cheers kev
Paul G

posted on 31/1/06 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi kev - heres the picture I should have uploaded in the first place with dimensions on it. You can also see that the rented one is a lot thicker which caused it to touch the bodywork.

The standard one I have must be the correct size as when fitted the tip of the exhaust sat in exactly the right place just before the rear arch.

Paul G

posted on 31/1/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Doh! Rescued attachment IMG_0001.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_0001.jpg

Paul G

posted on 31/1/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
well just had a pre SVA emissions test done:

CO - 1.3 (max limit is 0.3)
CO2 - 12.06
COc - 1.46
HC - 904
O2 - 3.35
LAMBDA - 1.075

needless to say it would fail at SVA, and I guess this might account for my rough running and misfiring. Any ideas where to go from here?

Cheers

Paul

andyharding

posted on 31/1/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a mixture screw you can turn down?

Paul G

posted on 31/1/06 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've twiddled with the mixture but it didnt seem to help much and the cat was nice and hot. I've got it booked in now at a place in Normacot that know a lot about R1's so hpefully they can help.

Is there any info I need to tell them to help set it up? I've heard about these air bleed systems but not sure if its needed.

Cheers

Paul

kurt

posted on 1/2/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I am also approaching the completion of an MK with an R1 engine and I am getting concerned about the emmisions part of the SVA. I would be interested to know how you get on so please keep updating this thread.

I have to say that your silencer does look small compared to mine from MK which is more like the size of the Cat silencer you have rented from the. I phoned them today and they said it is the same size and should be a direct replacement, so I don't know what has happened with yours.

Keep us posted how you get on.

Cheers, Kurt

kev R1

posted on 1/2/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
just measured my can and it's almost identical to the mk cat one think you've got a stray one there mate(that's can not cat!!!)
Paul G

posted on 1/2/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Its wierd how the original smaller system all fits perfectly - Ah well it probably saves a few kg over the usual sized one then!

I've got my car booked in on friday to balance the carbs and hopefully sort the emissions so I'll let you know what they do

Paul G

posted on 2/2/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the info Snoopy!
Paul G

posted on 3/2/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well it flew through the emissions co was 0.04% and HC was 127ppm! I looked in my local B&Q for something to make an air bleed system with - ended up using 'B&Q quarter circle sprayer with valve, 40cm pipe and joiner (for use with B&Q easy watering system)' Everything I needed was in the kit just needed to put a thread on the end of the joiners. Was in the sale too for £3.98 (the kit contains 3 but there was 1 loose on the shelf and they let me have that for nowt).

taking the air filter off made a major difference, HC was about 300ppm with it on!

Thanks for all the advice, now time to book the SVA!

andyharding

posted on 3/2/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well done that man!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.