Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Carb trumpets, do I need them?
kurt

posted on 22/2/06 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Carb trumpets, do I need them?

I've just been reading the thread about R1 airboxes and sock filters and somebody mentioned the fact that the intake trumpets have a significant effect on the performane of an engine. The carbs I've got have no trumpets at all! It sounds like I need some. Does anyone know where I can get some? (I've tried a dealers, no joy, they come as part of the carbs) Do race teams remove them at all? Are they likely to want to sell them on? I'm using the standard airbox reversed and plan to get a K&N filter. Any thoughts?
Jon Ison

posted on 22/2/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
You do need them for optimum performance, they increase and smooth airflow thru the carbs, as too getting a set ebay ? breakers ?

kurt

posted on 22/2/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just seen some on ebay, so bidding now.
big_wasa

posted on 22/2/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I also need them I have been trying to find a set for months and the conclusion I have come to is that either I machine some out of alloy OR I buy another set of carbs just for the trumpets and re-sell them
ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/2/06 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I believe Richard Miles had some machined up for his Striker build as he wanted shorter ones than standard to fit under a sausage filter better. Might be worth hunting through his website here to see if he mentions them.

Chris

Coose

posted on 23/2/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Rich had the aluminium trumpets machined back flush (but keeping the same radius as existing) after taking advice from Ray Stringer.

For those who don't know, Ray is an ex-BSB racer and a top-class bike tuner!

Spin 'er off Well...

smart51

posted on 23/2/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I just have the bosses without the trumpets under a foam filter. How much improvement is gained from turning the bosses down and radiusing the edge?
Coose

posted on 23/2/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I dunno to be honest! I have the same setup (with a TTS carb kit, Pipercross filter and a chimberley to the same dimensions as Rich Miles' ) and it goes like stink and carburates beautifully! It may make a difference, but as I'm not bothered about scraping up the last horsepower the old addage applies - 'if it ain't broke....'

Though, I've almost got all of the bits gathered up to fir my Keihin FCR41 flatslides.....

[Edited on 23/2/06 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

muzchap

posted on 23/2/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
OK boys

These are what you want to use! :-)

now how much do ya love me :-)

Im going for the AH34's (I think I have the room and individual airsocks) - now if someone has a cheap airsock site

CLICK ME CLICK ME CLICK ME

and a piccy

Cheers,

MuzChap

[Edited on 23/2/06 by muzchap]

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

progers

posted on 24/2/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Turning down bell mouths

On my carb'd Indy, I had the ally bellmouths turned down in a similar fashion to what Rich Miles did on his R1. I would say that it does improve top end bhp (2-3bhp) but at the expense of some low/mid range flexibility.

So this is an ideal mod for a trackday/racer or bike person but not necessarily one I would do for a road BEC. I think QB Carbon do some carbon bellmouths that have a similar effect - not cheap though!

Cheers

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.